GBps to MB/s

To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an invalid answer", So I googled and found: " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I say bits = 10 therefore 10gbps = 100MBps

TTman

OH, I missed the B vs b. Tried to many timew, now I need to wait. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

10000MB/s ?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Lol f*ck that forum

Reply to
bitrex

OK, maybe you can answer my question then. I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder. I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it does recognize a USB cable was inserted. The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change that to FAT32? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Just divide the bit rate by 10 to get the net bytes/s will give quite correct results. Place remember the preamble, Ethernet headers and possible IP headers and possible TCP header, especially if 1500 byte standard Ethernet frames are used. With 9000 byte Jumbo frames, you might get slightly better than that. For practical purposes 10 Gbit/s is about 1 GByte/s.

Reply to
upsidedown

10Gbit/s = 1GByte/s = 1000MByte/s Do you agree that 1GByte/s equals 1000MByte/s ?

Google is showing me 10Mbps = 1250MB/s multiple times, but that didn't work as an answer.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I got this from another group. It's worth a shot, when my time out ends.

"If you're looking on an oscilloscope at the wire, the 10Gbit/sec does amount to 1250MB/sec in a sense. What's missing is an accounting of coding loss. More bits are used to encode the data, than you get to use. On USB3, a 10 bit long sequence of ones and zeros, represents 8 bits of user data. That's a 25% overhead for transmission on the physical media.

*******

USB3.1 Gen1 5Gbit/sec, 8b/10b encoded, 500MB/sec channel rate usable USB3.1 Gen2 10Gbit/sec, 128b/132b 10000 * 128/132 * 1 byte/8 bits = 1212.12MB/sec channel rate usable"

Reply to
amdx

First thing to do is check the firmware revision and update the box to the latest firmware if you don't have that.

Do you have any small Flash USB sticks lying around? Format one each way just to see if it recognizes _anything_. If it can't even do that then the problem is elsewhere.

It looks like it's supposed to support both FAT32 and NTFS, and it hopefully does support NTFS HDDs because if it don't and you have to use FAT32 HDDs you'll be limited to a 4 gigabyte file size, which means you won't be recording at 1080p for more than a couple hours unless it splits files.

The fact the amazon ad says that there's a hard limit of 2TB on external drive size makes me think that if it does support NTFS as it's supposed to that's due to wrong cluster size, maybe? Try formatting the drive at the minimum NTFS cluster size of 512 bytes instead of what I believe the Windows default is of 4k

Reply to
bitrex

[ snip ]

Hey, amdx, I think you just got your own private forum!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

BTW I just played around with the formatting utility in Windows and it appears to select "GPT"-type partition table for NTFS by default, note that the manual says the box does _not_ support GPT and the partition table must be MBR-style, so you have to select that instead when formatting.

Reply to
bitrex

Lol I couldn't find any updated firmware for it anyway and the copy of the manual I found is in French.

I think the problem may be related to wrong partition table type it needs to be MBR, not GPT, the latter which appears to be the default partition table type when formatting an NTFS drive under recent Windows variants.

Reply to
bitrex

If the camera really does have a 2GB limit, it's probably FAT32 with an MBR.

Try a FAT32 specific format program:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Are you trying to troll in this newsgroups or are americans really that stupid that they do not understand the relationship between kilo, mega, giga, tera etc ?

What is this ? 1250 Mbytes/s is 10000 Mbit/s assuming a byte is 8 bits, which of course not a universal truth. In addition, you have to include any overhead in the form of message framing.

With other definitions of a byte (e.g. capable of holding (a Unicode) character, the byte might be also 16, 21 or 32 bits. In the old days a unit capable of storing a character (such as 36 bit word) could also store six 6 bit characters, four 9 bit characters, two 18 bit (UCS-2, UTF-16) characters or any Unicade (UTF-32) character in 36 bit word.

An octet is exactly 8 bits, so if you want to define 8 bit octets, please do so.

Reply to
upsidedown

It's not a camera it's an OTA digital video recorder.

Or as they say, " ATSC Digital Converter Box w/ TV Recording, Media Player, and TV Tuner Function" I call it the wife's soap recorder.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Why would you ask if I'm trolling, then give me the answer and tell me it is not a universal truth. And then start talking about overhead. Sheesh, you don't know the answer either. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Ummm... disclose the exact Western Dismal model number? If that's too easy, the USB drive should work in any Windoze PC. Plug it in and check the "properties" on the drive. There are also PC hardware listing programs. I use Speccy: It will try to install Crap Cleaner. Don't let it.

You forgot to supply the link to the English version.

I couldn't find a calculator for video storage. The one's I did find were for video surveillance storage and didn't work well.

It's asking for "the speed of 10Gbps" which to me means divide by 8. Try putting a space between the 1250 and the MB/s. Try is with just 1250 and no units of measure. Try using GBps instead of GB/s. It might be screwing up on the "/"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry. I automatically associate DVR's (digital video recoders) with security camera systems. Replace "camera" with "DVR". Also, since it has a 2TB limit, not 2GB, it can handle NTFS. There's also exFAT, but since it wasn't mentioned in the literature, I don't think it's needed.

WD Format tool: Might be useful to return the drive to it's original NTFS condition.

The programs I suggested for FAT32 work nicely for reformatting hard disk drives and USB flash drives. I run into that ocassionally when I need to cram a modern drive into an older DVR. However, I think NTFS and an MBR partition will make things work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

1250 MB/s is the answer that they want. Mike, let us know what you learn.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;