S-Video To RCA

I want an S-Video to RCA adaptor, but they aren't cheap, so I was wondering if I build my own, what pins to connect where. I want to be able to watch videos from my iPod touch, and play games from my laptop on my television, so I'd need a longer one then Dick Smith sells anyway. I've made audio cables before, but not video cables.

TIA Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

just use a short one and add plug it into a long cable.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes they are, practically give-away prices on ebay. $6 delivered to your door!:

Jaycar have an adapter for $8

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Em Quarta, 19 de Novembro de 2008 12:44, Dave.H escreveu:

both signals are not compatible... you can't just make a cable

Reply to
ArameFarpado

In that case I'll purchase the ready made S-video/RCA cable, and an extension cable for it like Jasen suggested. I have an S- Video port on my TV, but I have no idea whether it's in or out, and the manual is long lost. I think it's more likely to be an input.

Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

Em Quinta, 20 de Novembro de 2008 15:45, Dave.H escreveu:

S-Video on a TV is definitively an input

regards

Reply to
ArameFarpado

Yes they are, practically give-away prices on ebay. $6 delivered to your door!:

Jaycar have an adapter for $8

Dave. (Note: reposted on GG, because Bigpond seems to have crapped itself)

Reply to
David L. Jones

They are actually, S-Video just separates the chrominance and luminance signals. So it's easy to combine them back into composite RCA.

Making your own cable is pretty simple:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Em Quinta, 20 de Novembro de 2008 20:51, David L. Jones escreveu:

have you tryied this simple interface with just a capacitor?

i've did, the result sucks.

some devices with s-video output are abble (configuration option) to change from s-video to composite, if you have the output working in composite it will work fine, but that will be just composite to composite and you will just been adapting the pins from one socket to the pins of the other socket. if the device's output is just real s-video, then you will need a more complex interface than just a capacitor.

on other hand, if the device receiving has "orange" scart 21pins connectors, then you can make a real s-video to s-video, because orange connectors have real s-video in.

regards

Reply to
ArameFarpado

It's not optimum but usually edquate. Video is MUCH better when using

75 ohm coax, not just 'shielded' wire.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

3577

I'll just buy a regular S-Video cable, and connect it to the S-Video port on my TV. That will also let me play GTA: San Andreas on my laptop through my TV. My laptop also has an S-Video output (I think, just has the S-Video logo.)

Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

.

PA3577

I just looked at the specs for the Acer 5315, the S-Video is an output

Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

you can go from SVHS to Composite Mono with simple circuit using only passive components.

SVHS to Luminance + Chromiance signals is also possible with a simple cable.

Reply to
Jasen Betts