GAL Programming

Hello all,

I'm trying to decipher a GAL program and have come unstuck. The offending lines are:

RLAT.T = 15, %Read latch clock (for D8-D15), 74HC573% RLAOE.T = 17, WLAT.T = 18, %Write Latch clock (for D8-D15), 74HC573 (574 not ok)% WLAOE.T = 19, %LWrite latch output enable - see line above% BIFE.T = 20, %Bidir. line transc. enable (for D0-D7) ,74HC245% CLK.T = 22, %CONNECT WITH PIN 1% MFF.R = 21; %Master flip-flop for latch, line driver control, no external connect.%

and

CLK.E = VCC; RLAT.E = VCC; RLAOE.E = VCC; WLAT.E = VCC; WLAOE.E = VCC; BIFE.E = VCC; %Also SELP%

Can someone explain what .T, .R and .E are? If it helps, the program is for a GAL20V8 but I don't know what language it's in.

Thanks

Gareth

Reply to
garethrichardadams

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scrobe on the papyrus:

.E is probably enable (I think it should be .OE) .R is R input of SR-type output flip-flop .T is T input of toggle output flip-flop

Language is ABEL although I haven't used it for more than 20 years!!!

HTH

--
John B
Reply to

John B scrobe on the papyrus:

No, I take that back about the language. It's not ABEL as the comment delimiters are wrong. ABEL uses '"' or '//'. It's not CUPL as that uses the standard 'C' comment delimiters of '/*' & '*/'. So I'm afraid I don't know.

However, I do know that it's May Day and the workers are revolting. >:-}

--
John B
Reply to

Courtesy of Mel Brooks: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:V5hduqfu7TUJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Brooks+*-*-*-*-*-*-are-revolting+King-Louis-XVI-*-*-Mel-Brooks-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Reply to
JeffM

In article , wrote: [....]

Altera's AHDL pops to mind here. Based on this and assuming a bunch of other stuff:

XXXX.T would be an input that enables the toggling of a flip-flop XXXX.E would be an output enable XXXX.R wourl be a reset

The XXXXX.Y=12, YYYYY.Z=13 like statements are giving pin numbers for signals I think.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

Hmm... The language does't look familiar but combining my knowledge of other languages with the GAL20V8 specifications I'd say the first part is binding signal names to output pins, the other part specifies the output pins to be enabled except for MFF.R which is said to be used only internally by the comment. Maybe I can say more when reading the whole program.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

other

binding

be

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is ABEL code. (try a Clusty or Google search for a manual)

(from foggy memory:...)

[lable].E refers to the output enable for that output signal.. [lable].E=VCC means that the OE is always true, rather than controlled by some defined logic equation. [lable].r refers to (if I remember right) the RESET input for a latch [lable].t refers to (if I remember right) the TOGGLE (clock) input for a latch.

Dennis

Reply to
Barbarian

"Barbarian" schreef in bericht news:CdY5g.72093$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

Dennis,

Sounds reasonable. I did not use ABEL except for occasional modifications. Nevertheless I wonder why [label].r and [label].t are used. A GAL20V8 has no internal latches defined although you can program some of course. Besides, the signal names are used for output pins. That's why I asked for the whole program which would make things clear (I think).

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Hello all,

Thanks for all the help. I've contacted the author and it turns out that it's not actually a language! It's just a description in pseudo code! D'oh!

I'll ask him what the t's and r's mean given that "GAL20V8 has no internal latches".

Gareth

Reply to
garethrichardadams