Four Logic Levels

Hey guys, I was thinking of a new concept whereby we could square the amount of information stored in a bit. Currently, the information stored in a bit is whether the bit is on or off. To put it simply, the information has a base (remember, logarithmic base) of 2. If we could develop a mechanism whereby the base can be increased to 3 or 4, the amount of information stored can increased to more than

1.584 times in the case where the base is increased to two or 2 (twice ) if the base is increased to 4. This can be accomplished by sensitizing 3(4 if possible) voltage levels instead of the two currently. Your comments are invited.
Reply to
Robotnik

John

Google "Multi level flash memory"

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I do it all the time, but not at speed... I use it to set options on a chip:

Option 1, pin grounded Option 2, pin floating Option 3, pin tied to VDD

...Jim Thompson

| Phoenix, Arizona  85048    Skype: "skypeanalog"  |             |

Commonly used in mask ROM and probably others for many years. See, for example, US 5585297.

It doesn't "square" the amount of information, it multiplies it by

log2(n) = ln(n)/ln(2)

.. where n is the number of logic levels that can be reliably detected over temperature, process variations, noise etc. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

So, is your pin grounded, or floating, or tied to Vdd?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

My "pin" is hot-wired ;-)

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: "skypeanalog" | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:09:18 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Robotnik wrote in :

This is not new, and is done in FLASH memory to increase capacity. Intel, are they at 4 analog levels now?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

They have this with a thousand or more levels, it's called ANALOG!

Actually, digital transmission schemes like QAM, PAM, etc. use a number of levels and phase of a carrier to form an information symbol. Each symbol corresponds to a digital bit pattern.

For example, in 16-QAM there are four levels and four phases of the carrier. At any given instant in time the level and phase corresponds to one of the

16 possible positions of amplitude and phase. This pattern is called a constellation. Each of the 16 positions forms a symbol of a four bit pattern. (four bits has 16 values) Therefore four bits at a time are carried at every instant.

Note that bits are not carried or transmitted. Amplitude and phase of a sine wave is carried. This is just an example many schemes are possible some carrying 8 or more bits per symbol. Eight bits requires a 256 position constellation of phase and amplitude.

Reply to
Bob Eld

What circuitry is required to turn that single input into 2 bits at CMOS levels? Do you use high value resistors to set the floating level or some arrangement of transistors?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Please find the entry for "cross posting" in Wikipedia, read about cross posting and multiple posting, then stop multiple posting.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Inverters sized for thresholds at 1/4 and 3/4 of VDD is one way.

High-value resistors typically (typical 1K/sq available on analog processes).

...Jim Thompson

| Phoenix, Arizona  85048    Skype: "skypeanalog"  |             |

Or learn how to filter out ALL googlegroups except for those white-listed individuals ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| Phoenix, Arizona  85048    Skype: "skypeanalog"  |             |

John

I believe I have read that they are working on 16 levels! That would be four bits in 1 cell! The drive for density is relentless!!!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Has been before at least one or two times..including on the quantum level.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Cheers Terry

Reply to