Ford E-Transit

Now they're talking, finally a useful electric powered product for people who produce, versus prissy pov's.

Fred Bloggs

Electric vehicles - hybrid and rechargables - have always have had lower fuel costs per mile. As long as it was a niche market, the cost to manufacture the vehicles in small volumes was high. Once the manufacturers tool up to manufacture in volume, the up-front price will be less of a discouragement.

There's nothing particularly prissy about not wanting anthropogenic global warming to get worse. You'd have to be a bit of an idealist to spend money with that as the only justification, but you never had to.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Is that the punch line? Rim shot!

"the average daily range for commercial vans in the U.S. is 74 miles. Of course we also understand that there are days when those distances are higher, and recognize the need to adjust for factors such as cold weather. We consequently designed E-Transit with a targeted 126 miles of range"

What a lame van. One of the first things you learn about EVs is you never use the full range as that wears the battery excessively. So lop 12.6 miles or even 25.2 miles off the top. Then lop off another 12.6 miles as no one runs any vehicle dry and another 12.6 miles from the range reduction over the first few years of life. That only gets you a useful 75 miles or so. Then consider 74 miles of use is an average and you have a mismatch for a large percentage of the user base. They should have shot for 150 or 170 or even 200 mile initial, "ideal" range.

Or are people so stupid they can't figure this out for themselves? Does anyone trust in getting the EPA mileage rating on a new vehicle?

Reply to
Rick C

What is the EPA regime for mileage on cargo vehicles like this? do they run it half loaded?

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Not going to set any records. Because these are cargo vans, they usually have BIG engines.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

With 67kWhr battery, the electric version seems to be getting around 2 miles per kWhr. Not too bad, considering the heavy big frame.

Reply to
Ed Lee

When I was driving a delivery van, a workday wasn't one long trip before returning to base; with a lunch break and load times being productive charge opportunities, even 75 miles might be enough. Parking or finding a loading zone were my concerns, rather than range. Having some trip software to keep track of charge and directions to charge stations would be a useful addition, and that gives us electronics types a market opportunity... Do you see a business case for operating charge points at lunchtime restaurant parking lots?

Reply to
whit3rd

big engine? around here the standard for the transit is a 2.0l diesel

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm not sure what you are trying to address. "might be enough" is exactly my point. While it might work for some users, it won't work for a lot of others. If the delivery van fleet is going to fast charge at lunch, there will need to be an awful lot more level 3 chargers installed at convenient locations. This is also the most expensive charging you can get. Businesses are charged a hefty peak use surcharge. Maybe with enough solar generation that will become moot for mid-day charging, but then we have issues of days without much sun shine requiring the use of batteries.

The EV model works best when charging at night when electric rates are lowest. It is best for the vehicle to have enough battery to run the full daily route without charging. Personal EVs typically have enough capacity to go without charging for a few days. That solves most of the renewable availability issues. With delivery vehicles it's much better to run a day without charging. I don't think they count on lunchtime to charge up the forklifts in warehouses.

Reply to
Rick C

I don't know what he is talking about. They are typically smaller engines and get the crap run out of them, so they need to be built for severe service. Maybe he means big bearings.

One nice side effect of EVs, it is very easy to include a larger engine. The cost factor is not as bad and the parts count is no higher nor even the fuel consumption. That's why the Teslas have lots of power even with a single engine.

Reply to
Rick C

That means in US they would be using 3.5L for same job.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Well, NOBODY is addressing STANDARDIZATION of charging stations or connectors at minimum.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's completely wrong. There has often been competing standards in the early days of markets and EVs are not an exception. Chandemo has lost in the US and never had traction in the EU at all. So it's between Tesla and CCS now with Tesla allowing others to use their chargers, so the end is in sight. At some point soon the Tesla connector will become the standard and all charging networks will be merged into the Tesla network.

For home charging at night this is not even an issue anyway. The standard level 2 charging connector is J-1772 or a NEMA 14-50 wall outlet used with your car's charging cable. No issues at all.

Reply to
Rick C

Fat chance. It's more likely that Tesla adds CCS and ChaDeMod connectors in their stations, but only if they are competitive. I know of two superchargers in route. Kettleman city, next to the free CalTran station. Baker, next to Evgo, Elect. America and ChargePoint. If Tesla is cheaper than 25c/kWHr, i might use it there.

Reply to
Ed Lee

On Saturday, 2 October 2021 at 18:49:27 UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ..

What is more likely is that Tesla changes to the CCS connector as they have in Europe.

The physical connector is only half the problem - Tesla is the only car manufacturer that has integrated billing with their charging. No messing around with credit cards or not belonging to the right club to charge. Just plug it in.

kw

Reply to
ke...

It's just as easy to them to provide ChaDeMod, since the internal protocol is similar, and they already have SC/CDM converters, just the other direction.

I wouldn't mind using credit card, or just inserting dollar bills.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I can pull the vehicle VIN from Leaf-Spy, off the CAN bus. So, in theory, it should be possible to bill by VIN on ChaDeMod.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Chademo or CCS on the Tesla chargers ain't happenin'. CCS drivers will need to use an adapter. Chademo won't be part of the bargain because that connector is going away in the US no matter what you think. Even Nissan says so!

You can't use a Tesla Supercharger. Your connector is not compatible. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

Generally Tesla charges $0.28 per kWh. Some states don't allow billing by the kWh (makes them an electric utility) so they charge by the minute in a two step rate to account for slower charging at the higher end of charge state. I think it ends up roughly the same for Teslas that charge at high rates. Don't know about smaller cars that can only charge at very slow rates.

Reply to
Rick C

Then charging other EVs at Tesla ain't going to happen. There are alternatives within 5 to 10 miles of every Tesla SC in California.

Not true in California. EG is $3 + 39c/kWhr. EA is $2 + 29c/kWhr. CP is 25c/kWhr + 10c/min. CT is 0c/kWhr + 0c/min. They are all billing in kWHr.

EG: EvGo EA: Electrify America CP: ChargePoint CT: Dept of Tran, Calif.

Reply to
Ed Lee

No, Tesla won't change their connector in North America. They have too many chargers and cars out there. Tesla never had the overwhelming lead in the EU like they do here. Think of the mess that would make, not entirely unlike driving on the other side of the road, but changing over the course of a year rather than overnight! It was managable in the EU because Superchargers are not king there.

That won't be hard to deal with. The smarts will be in the adapter the CCS users will need.

You can see the difference between two, one a horse designed by committee. Tesla gave thought to the foreseeable future in their initial design after the very preliminary Roadster having both AC and DC charging in the same design. CCS, with multi staged development, shows the scars with its bulky additional DC fast charging pins. I was surprised to find the cable on the V3, 250 kW Superchargers is smaller and lighter than the V2 cable. It has water cooling so I guess the older cables have a LOT of copper in them.

Nope, Tesla does a great job on the engineering and won't be tossing any of that out the US window any time soon.

Reply to
Rick C