Talking Clock

Hi all

I am after a circuit diagram for a talking clock.

Most apreciated if anyone can help.

Jay Mather snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz

or

Byte Magazine Volume 10, issue 5 (May, 1985): Multiprocessing Build a Talking Clock Speech Synthesizer143 This talking clock chip circuit also allows experimentation with an unlimited-vocabulary speech processor

or

CWatters

------------------------ Specify, how often do you want it to talk, or at a push of a button, or what?

Go to:

and to:

and then use the numeric outputs to locate a memory block in an EPROM or several, add a counter for making it talk, and then record in your speech and burn the EPROMs. Run the 8 data lines of the EPROM to an R-2R ladder DAC, and then to an amp, like an LM386 and speaker.

If you want to be fancy you could make the numbers all separate memories and cue them with a counter chain doing the talking-addressing using the digit numerics as positioners in EPROM address space. If you wanted to be fancy you could use an SPO256 and feed it numeric codes using an EPROM and counter string, but the EPROMs already there, so why waste one of them on such a trivial task. If you like the robotic sound, you could record the SPO256 into the EPROM.

You can play any 8 bit mono .wav file that way by burning it into an EPROM. The header is a tiny blip on the start of a wav file, that can be edited off with CoolEdit or such, but it works without doing that.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

There are numerous Talking clocks and watches on the market .

-- John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Reply to
John G

------------------ Yes.

------------------- But that's NOT what he asked for, now, was it???

-Steve

--

-Steve Walz snipped-for-privacy@armory.com ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!! With Schematics Galore!!

or

R. Steve Walz

No it is not what he asked for but he has not been very specific. I do not know enough detail to argue with what you suggested but it could easily be way out of his grasp and he may really only need a talking clock and not a very complex design and construction project. I only suggested an alternative.

-- John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

memories

wanted