Talking Technology

First of all, I'm new to this electronics stuff so take it easy on me. In a magazine, I saw this talking watch. When ya press a button, it speaks the time and date. What is this type of technology called, and how would I begin studying it? I understand digital logic, binary numbers, some data structures, and I'm picking up some physics and a few puter languages. I'm attempting to learn an assembly language. Other than this specific technology, can anyone recommend how and where to begin applying my knowledge to electronics projects? Are kits worth the time? I'm simply wanting to learn the basics and from there pursue my interests. Thanks to all.

Reply to
brown1353_98
.

That's a heck of a lot of questions implied; I'll try to answer a very limited subset.

Speech storage- google for "Chipcorder". That's the trade name for a series of devices which store analogue voltages in a non-volatile memory. I doubt that mass-produced devices like watches use that technique, but they may interest you anyway.

Hope that helps.

-- Per ardua ad nauseam

Reply to
tersono

Thanks bro. I appreciate the knowledge. I'm getting ready to check into chiprecorder. Take er easy.

Reply to
Spike

there are a number of technologies involved in such a device.

microcontroller, digitised (or synthesised) voice, audio amplifier, loudspeaker, pushbutton, battery

I understand digital logic, binary

kits teach how to recover from assembly mistakes.

when you design something yourself and build it and it doesn't work then comes the conundrum is the design at fault or the execution.

I think doing a few kits is a good idea. then build a few things from schematics.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Thanks Jasen. Can you recommend any specific microcontroller kits? I've heard of PIC microcontrollers and a several other types. I've seen some cheaper microcontroller kits that include a board and other accessories such as P-Basic software, Basic STAMP, Jav Stamp, and a few other languages. I'm wanting a learning kit that comes with software and all I'll need to learn the basics. I'm not sure what language would be suited for a beginner. I prefer something that I can easily obtain a hard copy of literature suited for a beginner. I have no clue where I should start. Glancing through "Nuts and Volts" magazine, I've seen eight or so different languages and bookoo different types of microcontrollers. Any ideas where I should start? Thanks.

Reply to
Spike