For Joerg

Joerg, Nostalgia time...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Cool, thanks. This was their last special edition, a model called "Charleston".

A few mistakes though: This car did not lack creature comfort at all. It's ride over rough roads is, to this day, unsurpassed by any other car except the Citroen DS21. WRT heating the statement would be true, anything less than freezing outside and you better bundle up.

Also, the "slightly slower VW Beetle"? Beetles ware faster, I could never hang on to one of those. OTOH VWs used almost twice the gas per mile. The needle on my 2CV crept up to 55-60mph and that was pretty much it, pedal to the metal. 0-60mph was, oh, a minute or two. Depending on the wind.

Anyhow, the engineers on its design team must have been among the best that ever lived.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I spotted the magazine in my doctor's office, and looked it up on the web. The discussion of the "springing" method (single coil spring on each side) was fascinating.

...Jim Thompson

It had more of those ingenious gadgets. For example friction shocks. You cold take a wrench and adjust the ride. I remember one episode where we had to schlepp gear across a totally muddy and furrowed farm "road". The guys with their ritzy SUVs all got stuck. Well, here came Joerg and his raggedy old Citroen. Took a couple of long and somewhat straight branches that a tree had shed, cut to length, cranked up the whole front end in the middle of the bumper, jammed the branch under the suspension arms. Did the same in the back. Removed the rear bench which took all of

10 seconds. Loaded all the stuff, eyes became wider and wider when they saw what fits into that car. Picked the crank out of the trunk (eyes became even wider), chugga ... chugga ... *POOF* ... *BANG* ... vrooom. Made one trip across that path and all gear was delivered to where it was needed.

The rear end of the car "rode up" on the mud at times but thanks to the completely flat surface underneath it just kept slithering along.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Some of that "ingenious" can be scary. My Renault Dauphine had leather straps to keep the rear wheels (on swing arms) from tucking in too far :-(

...Jim Thompson

On my 2CV they had muntzed the heater by declaring a heat exchanger an unnecessary luxury. So, the cooling air around the cylinder was ducted and then there was a flap that either directed the output out or in. A lil' manifold leak could lead to some serious problems. I think they changed that later.

Oh, and this heater was digital. Either on or off. So you had to do the manual PWM thing which gets old after a while. Then I had an epiphany, bent the rod a little so it could still be moved but stuck in any position.

Best of all this car had no electronics and no belts. Later when I found out that 2V were enough to get a spark I mounted two D-cells and a diode (I operated it sans car battery a lot). This cut down on the number of times the 2nd muffler pot would fly off when cranking. Also, less crud came flying out.