Re: Computerized Audio Project.

We using the printer cable to send 8 bit waveforms to a speaker.

>I figure using a DAC-08 (D to A converter) will create any sound >we want, in 0-255 amplitudes. >Essentially were making a speech synthesizer. >Ken

The Linux boot loader GRUB allows one to fire the "PC Speaker" with tones and pauses. I boot up with Für Elise and Close Encounters on one of my machines.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

It will probably sound ratty. Telephone systems work at 8 bits, but the coding is nonlinear.

John

Nowadays soundcards are not that expensive any more :-)

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

_One_ bit (at something like 8kHz sample rate) is enough to be understandable, IIRC, but it's not pretty.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've always been fond of delta modulation for simple-minded audio...

particularly the adaptive variations. ...Jim Thompson

Isn't that what is used in most of the toy sound effect chips? I did a project with some OTP ones some years back and I think it was a form of delta modulation that was not only very simple, but kept the ROM requirements relatively reasonable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I think so.

I first ran onto the concept in the late '60's for some telephone chips.

The adaptive variations, which can change slope via an algorithm that looks at repetitive patterns of zeros or ones, can sound quite nice. Like the Motorola MC3417 Continuously Variable Slope Delta Modulator...

...Jim Thompson

Many years ago, before there even _were_ sound cards, I got some advertising disk which when run, would play some herald trumpet fanfare over the PC (one bit) speaker.

And yes, it was a little ratty, but recognizably brass instruments.

It's not that hard to do - just play your audio into a comparator, and time the intervals between zero-crossings.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, no problem. I've just listended to unmodulated white noise:

If you have two wave files, one with white noise and one with the signal with which you want it to modulate, you could use my Modulator program to produce the modulated signal:

Would be easy to extend it for realtime sound output.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss
Reply to
Frank Buss

Why not? As long as the maximum frequency below 20kHz (or so), You might ask Bob Masta... he looks like a sound card expert!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You mean this OUT command, which writes data to a port, from the Intel OUT assembler command and the qBASIC which runs in DOS? Maybe you should change to VB.NET. Visual Studio Express Edition is free for private and commercial use, after a registration at Microsoft. I don't know qBASIC, but it was from Microsoft, so maybe it looks a bit like VB.NET. And you'll get tons of examples and help for VB.NET.

A short search results in this example for realtime sound output for VB.NET:

I didn't tried it, but the source code looks clean and easy to change, e.g. in Oscilator.vb you can write your calculation of the samples in GenerateSample.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss
Reply to
Frank Buss

On Feb 7, 11:25=A0am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote: ...

Speech (phoneme creation) is more than simple modulation, it is filtering through mechanical resonators as well. back in the days when I played with analog music synthesizers, we could make 'speech" by using a combination of voltage controlled amplifiers, voltage controlled filters, and ring modulators. Would be interesting to see how you could implement control of these in basic.

Reply to
lektric.dan

Quickbasic has a sound command for the system speaker. I've used it to add audio signals to automated test fixtures. A unit that passed sounded like you had just won a video game. A foghorn announced any failure. ;-)

BTW, do you need any Centronics printer cables for your project? Just pay shipping. I probably have 50 at the moment. They will end up in the recycling bin before long.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The idiot still has a garage full of hoarded JUNK.

You should have at least kept the good, worthy crap, and not the beyond worthless shit.

Reply to
quasar

No problem. I just hate to toss those 25 foot cables into the scrap copper barrel.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Another morph for dum-dum.

Reply to
JW

THE DIMBULB SCORECARD

Abbey Somebody AllInTheChi AM AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger BaltoTopDog BarnCat Bart!

10 BigBalls BillyPilgrim BlindBaby Booong... Bum, Bum, Bum, Bum... (Intel ad)" Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man CellShocked ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Copacetic

20 Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter DarkSucker Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd Dr. Morel DrParnassus FatBytestard FigureItOut 30 FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor George Orr GooseMan GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

GotchaDumbfuck! Hattori Hanzo Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason" HiggsField I AM THAT I AM

40 IAmTheSlime ItchyGato ItsASecretDummy Jupiter Jaq Kai KilRoy IsHere LargeMarge life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood

lurch

50 MadManMoon MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

MeowSayTongue Mr.Eko Mr. Haney MrTallyman My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do Mycelium Mycelium

60 Neanderthal Notably Stationed Nunya OutsideObserver Perenis Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard quasar RoyLFuchs scorpius

70 SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful

Son of a Sea Cook SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong

SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor

80 TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks

The Last Mimsy The Loner The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra TheGlimmerMan TheKraken TheQuickBrownFox TralfamadoranJetPilot snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

90 UltimatePatriot UpGrade UpYerNose ValleyGirl VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr WallyWallWhackr WarmUnderbelly WhySoSerious? 100WattDarkSucker 100
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ect?

l end up

scrap

Are you becoming a member of the Archie/Dimbulb fan club?

Reply to
Greegor

Go away, and do not return until your mental age reaches 25.

Comply, and we will not see you ever again, you immature twit!.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I still give away a lot of stuff, but most is at the local level. I've had people walk in and bet me $20 that I didn't have an oddball 50 year old part. I always had what they needed, so after a while they got tired of paying a couple dollars + the $20 when they lost the bet. I have a 1200 Sq' garage and an 18' * 28' storage building where I repair things to give away, and store parts from things not worth fixing. I started 45 years ago, as a teenager.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell