Firefox Bookmarks

A website built with Word is useless for someone using a speach to text converter.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[my web site]

All I know is that it loads with all the common browser and it load much faster than all the "modern" fighfalutin frame stuff or, worse, scripted stuff. And that's what counts.

Actually, I tried it with that (4.72?) and it didn't choke. Loaded surprisingly fast. And that was on an old PC to boot, with Win2k and

128MB of RAM. [...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

A while ago when somoemone was touting those validators I ran the home pages of some really big ones through there. Oodles and oodles of errors.

I guess most engineers would agree that ON Semi has on of the best web sites. Just ran it through the W3 validator: 662 errors, 336 warnings.

Maybe I'll try it. So far none of the open source HTML editors has been as good as old MS-Word to me. Most can't even jump hyperlinks easily. Beats me why not, because that makes them not very useful for wiki use.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Frames? that went out of fashion over 10 years ago.

heartburn".

A Cascading Style Sheet would clean up a lot of crap and make it load even faster since it only loads once, no matter how many pages someone visits.

That crude graphic with your e-mail should be replaces with a simple script that opens the visitor's default e-mail software, yet hides the address from spambots. That has been common for over 10 years, as well.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The question is "What kind of errors? The WWW3 validator chokes on URLs.

Sigh. There is a routine to create links in HTML in every rdior I've ever used.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There's lots of web pages out there that use frames.

heartburn".

Yeah, I know. But I found that some corporate PCs won't run scripts. At least a few years ago they wouldn't. Users behind pretty stiff corporate firewalls are the guys who need to be able to contact me, and they do, from that graphic. So it seems to dio its job.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Now you begin to grasp why I don't care about validators much :-)

As I said before, it's not about creating. Every editor can do that. It's about being able to create them _and_ jump to them from within the very same window. For reasons that totally elude me that is cumbersome or not possible in many editors. I have little use for such editors.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Lots? Give a percentage. I dont recall seeing any lately. Maybe you're confusing Joomla based sites with frames?

Well, it looks 15 years out of date. A small business website for a designer needs to be dressed up a little. You don't need flash and 30 GB of photos or other crap, but it shouldn't be boring.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I haven't used one that wouldn't. Some take an extra step to create a link, but it only takes seconds. PAste the link information, and right click, then select, 'Make Link' or a similar command. Then you either paste the same information into the new window, or the page description. Then click 'OK' No big deal.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't know the percentage but it could be over 5% of sites I have to visit. I don't give a hoot what it's called, the effects are always the same: Bookmarks end up pointing inconsistently, the URL tyically doesn't show up but remains frozen so you can point others there, and so on. IOW, my opinion is that frames suck and if Joomla does the same thing then it does as, too ;-)

My clients typically prefer boring over cumbersome. It's the same with designs. Yeah, a switch-mode converter from discretes might look dated and boring but if it works better than a chip, is multi-sourced and is cheaper, then my clients are happy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Copy and paste just to jump to a link is no big deal in this day and age? You've got to be kidding.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Your reading comprehension really stinks. It is done ONCE PER LINK as the web page is created.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Try creating a website with hundreds or thousands of pages that need to be maintained without using a CMS before telling other people how to do it.

Sigh. Just admit that you are completely clueless. A style sheet sets the style for an entire website. It makes it simpler for people to use the site, not 'cumbersome'. Background colors, font styles and sizes are consistent throughout the entire site. It makes it look like it was created, not a classroom assignment submitted by a bored kid. You always brag about discrete designs, yet you approach your website like it was built with overpriced, full custom ICs. If your site was cleaned up it could look exactly the same, yet load twice as fast for potential clients.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ask the IT guys at places like ON Semi, they'll tell you how to do it. They do top notch work and I doubt they disagree with me much.

I never disagreed that it can't be improved. Nearly everything can be. However, making a page that loads (correctly, I might add) in a split second load in half that time somehow does not constitute a high priority in my eyes. It just ain't all that important.

IOW, if your car has a flat tire you aren't going to concentrate on polishing the lug nuts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Name a popular software that allows a copy-paste link creating (for example by copying it out of a browser URL line or from your own hard drive) _and_ allows to then click on that created hyperlink and jump to the correct web page or file on your HD.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Have you looked at the source code for their pages? Think carefully before answering.

Here is the 'head' section from this On Semiconductor page:

Semiconductor and Integrated Circuit Devices

Now tell me they don't use Cascading Style Sheets and Javascript.

I see 10 Cascading Style Sheets and 9 Javascripts.

There are more Javascripts through that page. If your customers don't allow Javascript, that website is fairly useless.

Apparently nothing is.

Your analogies suck

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Composer, Open Office, Wordpad, Notepad,........ You just need a clue how HTML works to do it. If everything is in the same folder all you need is the HTML code for what you want to do. For instance, here is a piece of code from a web page I'm updating. I keep a full working copy on my hard drive so I can test changes before uploading them to the server. This opens the thumbnail displayed on the page it comes from in a new window, along with a 'Close' command on the new window or tab.

Close

This is why you don't use absolute URLs wen building the web page. I simply upload them to the server, and everything is indexed to the folder for that site.

This piece of code uses a 'Radio Button' to open a HTML page. It doesn't matter if it's on a website, somewhere on your network, or on your computer

The points to the location.

is the link to the image, which in this case is in a subfolder named 'images'. It also includes an alternate tag with a text name for the button, if you have disabled viewing images with your browser, or for very slow connections so someone doesn't have to wait for all the buttons to load. The closes the line.

If you want to create nice looking buttons,

is free and has a lot of options and fonts you can use.
offers similar free tools to use on their site.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They do. And the site produces hundreds of "validator" errors as I have pointed out. If you don't believe it do the run yourself, takes just a few seconds.

Some do, some don't. They also often don't allow cookies. But what you seem not to have noticed is a smart move by ON Semi's IT guys: You _can_ easily navigate their site with disallowed Java Script. I do that often (it is default off here). Only some things won't work such as sorting parts by max input voltage, for example. Experienced designers rarely need that and if they do it's easy. You turn Java Script on, do the search, turn it off again, done.

Simple, ain't it?

Obviously you have no idea about my kind of work.

No, they don't. There are more important things in life than whether a page loads in 400msec or 700msec.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nope. If you load a page with hyperlinks into Notepad they don't even show as clickable hyperlink. Meaning if you click on them nothing happens, nada, zip, zilch. It just sits there.

Works the same for my site. Once uploaded the links work on that server.

Yeah, I have used fancy buttons in industrial control stuff. Big red "OFF" mushroom-style button and so on. For web sites I am a minimalist. Remember, on this here planet there are still guys on a slow crackling dial-up. And not just in Africa.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have run the validatior on hundreds, if not htousands of web pages. That has nothing to do with your claim of 'On Semiconductor doing things right'.

'Cookies' have absolutely nothing to do with Javascript, or forcing yourself to use a sitemap while disabling a lot of useful features on a website.

Sigh.

Almost as simple as setting up what you need to keep a computer secure and leaving Javascript turned on.

Yes, I do. You brag about being better than nayone else at what you do. It shows.

You still don't get it, and you never will. Faster load times are a by product, not the main benefit.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell