Firefox: Add a new tab doesn't work in v17.0 update

Firefox: Add a new tab doesn't work in v17.0 update

Am I missing some new setting requirement? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It works here on my machines although on one a 'new tab' gives the 'tabs' page and on another it goes to my default web page but I'll be damned if I can find any 'setting' specifying either or how to change them.

It may have something to do with which version I was on before all the subsequent updates but they're both now the 'latest' 17.

Try clearing your cache and history because that's where firefox gets the 'new tabs' list from.

Reply to
flipper

I installed 17.0 on XP. The + button on the tab bar and ctrl-T both work as expected.

I've had some plugins that I've tried over the years that mangle various features. You might try starting Firefox from the command line with plugins disabled and see if it works:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Work find on win7. The mozilla repo for opensuse is still on rev 16.

Reply to
miso

I found my problem. Some dern add on had set one of them to go to their 'search page', which was a clone of google, and that over rode the 'new tabs' page.

The offending app is "freecorder" which, among other things, insists on installing an intrusive crap 'toolbar' that I then disable.

Reply to
flipper

Found a discussion thread... it's a new bug :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The culprit is the "ASK Toolbar" installed, in my case, by Avery. Though disabled it still impeded "Add a new tab".

Remove it from the Add-ons selection in "Tools", then it will show in Add/Remove Programs, then remove it there as well.

Get out the Glock >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

   ...Jim Thompson

The Ask toolbar comes as a "free enhancement" with stuff like Java; that's where I first saw it. Silly me, I let it install the first time- never again.

Also, apparently its registry entries have been changed to AskTbar, so you may still have an updater etc lurking in there.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Revo uninstaller will take it out, no problem. I use the free version, and the highest level. (Last of the four choices)

I've removed that toolbar from a lot of computers. You may need to edit your list of search engines, if it was set to default.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Use Revo unistaller to rip out every toolbar.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ah yes, the infamous ASK toolbar. You wouldn't have any trouble finding volunteers for a hit team or firing squad.

I'm convinced that most of those things are ad/spyware 'fronts' feigning to be something hopefully, but rarely, worthwhile to the user.

Way back in the early days I actually used 'Ask Jeeves' but have since come to despise anything associated with ASK, which is now owned by IAC... who also distributes the even worse MyWay Searchbar (aka MyWay Speedbar, MyWay Search Assistant, MyWebSearch or MyWeb Searchbar).

Reply to
flipper

Why all the updates to Firefox and Thunderbird? is it a race to get to 100?

V17 Thunderbird just broke my quicktext add-on, so I rolled back to V16 to fix the problem. Quicktext author fixed the problem within a day or two, but I have decided I don't need version updates with new features every few weeks in Firefox and Thunderbird, so I switched off auto updates for now, and I'll just dinosaur around V16 for a few months.

I think you need to run in arrears of some of these updates. Sort of like I did with Vista and I am doing with Windows

  1. :-(

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

100?

to fix the problem.

decided I don't need version updates with new

auto updates for now, and I'll just dinosaur

like I did with Vista and I am doing with Windows

Please do not blame Mozilla, Google started it with chrome/chromium browsers and releasing frequently. Browser wars, V3. or is it V4?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

the problem.

don't need version updates with new

updates for now, and I'll just dinosaur

did with Vista and I am doing with Windows

Please pay attention ?-)

As I later reported, some surfing produced a discussion that implicated the ASK toolbar... in my case installed by an Avery app.

Though disabled it was still offending... required removing from Firefox, then also from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. (It wasn't visible in Control Panel until removed from Firefox... which struck me as nasty.) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature