Finnish depression in SF

The author of "Disappearing Days" (Likitalo) hails from Finland. It's a very short, very dark story about the sacrifice made by office workers. It turns out that they trade much more than their time in return for gainful employment.

"Disappearing Days" brings to mind the very much longer _Cryptonomicon_ (Stephenson). It specifically brings to mind the Finnish character named Uncle Otto and his young niece Julieta Kivistik:

Julieta smells like coffee. Shaftoe likes to nuzzle and smell her coffee-scented flesh. "The weather is not too bad. Uncle Otto should be back before night," she says. She is lazily regarding a map of Scandinavia. Sweden dangles like a flaccid, circumcised phallus. Finland bulges scrotally underneath. Its eastern border, with Russia, no longer bears any resemblance to reality. This illusive frontier is furiously crosshatched with pencil marks, the axes of Stalin's repeated efforts to castrate Scandinavia, obsessively recorded and annotated by Julieta's uncle, who like all Finns is an expert skier, crack shot, and indomitable warrior. Still they despise themselves. Shaftoe thinks it's because they eventually farmed out the defense of their country to the Germans. Finns excelled at an old-fashioned, personalized, retail style of Russian-killing, but when they started to run low on Finns, they had to call in the Germans, who are more numerous and who have perfected a wholesale Russian-slaughtering operation. Julieta scoffs at this simple-minded theory: the Finns are a million times more complex than Bobby Shaftoe can ever understand. Even if the war had never happened, there would be an infinity of reasons for them to be depressed all the time. ... The entire country of Finland (to hear Otto tell it) has been plunged into an endless night of existential despair and suicidal depression. The usual antidotes have been exhausted: self-flagellation with steeped birch twigs, mordant humor, week-long drinking bouts. The only thing to save Finland now is coffee.

Thank you,

--
Don
Reply to

Whoops. Posted by mistake to the wrong group. Please ignore.

Thank you,

--
Don
Reply to

Someone made an edit of the American sitcom "Seinfeld" with all the jokes and laugh track removed and in that form it's like a really dark, existential nihilistic art film about urban middle class ennui and despair

Reply to
bitrex

..but you reminded us of a very, very good book. Cryptonomicon.

Reply to
Kamen Lilov

Do you think it could be intended, subliminally, to sap the viewers' will to live (as I suspect was the case with 'I Love Lucy' in the 60s)?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Are we having fun yet exposing bitrex' ignorance ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Who the hell is Shaftoe and why is he smelling Julieta? And why all this irrelevant descriptive crap?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It was actually funny the reason being it was yuppie "liberal elite" scum making fun of themselves - the reason why 30-something NYC yuppies Jerry, Elaine, George, etc. got into trouble/amusing situations is because those characters were horrible, shameless, self-absorbed jerks nobody would ever want to be around in real life

Reply to
bitrex

Julieta scoffs at this simple-minded theory: the designs are a million times more complex than management can ever understand. Even if the bugs had never happened, there would be an infinity of reasons for the engineers to be depressed all the time. ... The entire company (to hear Otto tell it) has been plunged into an endless night of existential despair and suicidal depression. The usual antidotes have been exhausted: self-flagellation with steeped birch twigs, mordant humor, week-long drinking bouts. The only thing to save the project now is coffee.

Sounds right.

Reply to
Wanderer

What? No hair shirts ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I wonder what Jim thought that bitrex was being ignorant about?

If you want describe somebody as ignorant, you really do have to identify what they didn't know, and what they should have known.

It may be unkind to try to deprive Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson of his favourite insult, but the irony is a little too obvious to pass over.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Finland is a bit far north for that. Hair shirts are pretty much for Catholics only, and Finland is way north of the protestant-catholic divide.72% of them are Lutherans, and 1.1% Orthodox.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I'm ignorant of "I Love Lucy" that's for sure, its final original episode aired nearly 25 years before I was born.

Reply to
bitrex

I think we've all lived there.

Mark L. Fergerson