Let Us Sing the Song of the FAE - the Good Ol Days of Semis

Back, back, back in the day - the semiconductor industry was different. Leading-edge was everything, cores were different and competition was fierce. The semiconductor industry of the 1980's and

90's has been compared to the wild wild west, and rightfully so.

This is a song, sang to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun", sung at the National Semiconductor FAE Conference in 1989. For those you semis, I hope it brings back fond memories. Those of you that are not, well, it will help you understand some of the frustrations of working for a semiconductor manufacturer.

Bill Giovino

Bill Giovino

Let's sing it for the people here.

[House of the Rising Sun]

There is a group in the Internet They called them engineers It's been the ruin of many careers. And God, i know, i'am one.

My sisters were programmers They spend all days dream and chat My brothers were designers Down in the Internet.

[My way]

And now, the end is near. and so i face the final review. I code it clear and docunment it. I'll state my case, of which i'm certain I've built a box that's good I browsed each and every web site. And more much more than this I built it my way

Problems, i had a few but then again Too few to mension. I debugged it and rewrote it without exceptions I planned each logic branch each careful step alone the project And more much more than this I coded it my way

Yes, there was times I'am sure you knew when i bit off more than i could code but thru it all when there were doublt i added it up i printed sideway I faced it all And i stood tall And sold it my way

For what is a man what has he got If not his work than he has not to post the job he truly feels and not the words of one who needs The record show i took the flame And did it my way

Reply to
Edward Lee