9V Batteries from the Early Days of Transistor Radios

All the time in these NGs I've read PP-3 for the description of 9V transistor radio batteries. However, when I was a kid, we knew them by the description shown in the pic in the URLs below. Usually BL-006P or MN-006P for the Heathkits which used manganese or alkaline, I believe. In any case, I had never heard of PP-3 until the newsgroups.

93&rd=1

Click on the supersize below the pic, or for a close up, try this:

PG

I think Eveready had some number, like 1602, that they used, and some other makers had something similar.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

(...)

I think PP3 is the Ever Ready number (or Ever Eady as they now call themselves!); 006P I assume to be the Japanese or US designation (along with C, D, etc, where the UK used numbers).

If I remember rightly, 1602 was the Duracell number. (Duracell used to give all their batteries strange and hard-to remember numbers).

--

rgds
LAurence

...A Happy Solstice and Cool Yule to all readers
Reply to
Laurence Taylor
7EA05ED628F856AC6D4FD7E3 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

"Wats> All the time in these NGs I've read PP-3 for the description of 9V

A Burgess listing from 1960 shows 2U6. An Eveready listing from 1968 shows theirs as 216. Both are Zinc-Carbon. Lots of Hg batteries listed.

Cheers, John Stewart

Reply to
John Stewart