500 days

Or maybe it's 499 now.

I like this, in this morning's SF Chronicle.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Who owns the SF Chronic now?

I heard that there is some "regime disruption" afoot in the EU. Nigel Farage and M Le Pen. Interesting to follow. I don't know details, but there's a guy on here, "Bill" who I was told is as conservative as Atilla the Hun's Pit Bull, so I may ask him. :)

Reply to
haiticare2011

If ice expands by 8%, and an iceberge is about 10% above and 90% below the water, by the time it melts isn't then net mass the same then (occupies the same space 90-92%)?

Martin Riddle

Riddle: if your cup is brimming with ice water, what happens to the water level when the ice melts?

Answer: nothing. The ice that's floating above the surface represents the expansion of the frozen ice below. If anything, it falls slightly (although if it does, I can't convince myself of how much it falls by).

The hazard to the Earth is, of course, all that stuff piled up on continents, like Greenland and Antarctica.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Correct. I annoyed my greeny neighbors by putting a big chunk of ice in a bowel, then added water right up to the brim. Then asked them how long would it take before it overflowed. We went thru three bottles of wine with nary a drop of water spilt >:-} ...Jim Thompson

It'll only get the coasts... which are inhabited by the ignorant, so it's no big deal >:-} ...Jim Thompson

The continents float on the molten core of the earth. If the Antarctic melts, won't the underlying continent float higher?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It's just out, a poll: 96% of people say they are average or above in intelligence. Also, older poll: 90% of people say they are in top 10% in values and honesty.

All Apple employees in their retail stores are called "geniuses."

?
Reply to
haiticare2011

And I've been meaning to ask you: What do you use your Keithley electrometer for? I have one also, the tube model. I got it for radiation chamber fA currents.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Unless the iceberg was named Greenland.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

he

Sadly, the ignorant are prepared to pay a lot for their real estate, so sub merging coastal cities is going to devalue a lot of expensive investments.

If you thing the sub-prime mortgage crisis was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And everybody seems to think that sea-level rise will be slow. At the end o f the last ice age, loads of the ice piled up on top of Canada decided to s lide off into the Atlantic in a relatively short time. The bottom of the At lantic off Canada is littered with huge boulders (accidentals) dumped there when the ice bergs melted.

Something turned off the Gulf Stream for 1300+/-70 years around then - one candidate is the breaking of the ice dam that had supported Lake Agassiz

which was essentially a deeper version of the Great Lakes, but the ice shee t around that area probably hit the Atlantic at the same time.

The West Antarctic ice sheet is a lot colder than the Greenland ice sheet, but recent work suggests that it isn't all that well supported, so quite a lot of it may slide off relatively early.

One of the nasty things about anthropogenic global warming is that the less easily predictable disasters can be quite big (if and when they happen).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Measuring high value resistors, diode leakage currents, PCB and connector leakages, photodiode currents. It also make a nice 0-1 volt voltmeter with basically infinite input impedance.

Mine is "solid state", with an ancient RCA small-signal mosfet as the front-end gadget.

That's a 100 Gohm surface-mount resistor soldered to the banana plug thing.

Here's a small PCB with maximally gloppy uncleaned rosin solder joints and deliberate fingerprints. Pins the needle above 1e14 ohms.

Keithley used to make great stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sure. Eventually. The last ice age ended some 12,000 years ago, and northern Europe, like the northern parts of North America, hasn't yet bounced all the way back.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Greenland isn't an iceberg. There's a real landmass under all that ice. Bits of it are obvious around the edges.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

I suppose one silvery (...icy?) lining would be, accelerated atmospheric heating would tend to melt it gradually from the top, not the bottom?... Well, it probably doesn't work that way anyway, fissures and all...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Yes, but not by nearly as much. And slowly, as BS said.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

sheet, but recent work suggests that it isn't all that well supported, so q uite a lot of it may slide off relatively early.

It doesn't. The melting on the top flow down through the fissures and creat es rivers flowing under the ice-cap. There's actually heat flowing out of t he earth's core anyway, so the connection from the ice-sheet to the underly ing geology is messy, hard to map and even harder to model.

If the end of the last ice age is anything to go by, when the process has g one far enough, large chunks of ice move across the landscape and slide off into the sea. The process is likely to be impressive when it happens, and splashy.

Quite how fast the sea-level goes up when it's going on is anybody's guess.

When large chunks of ice or rock start moving rapidly - for any reason - yo u get tsunamis, but they are transitory, though they tend to outlast a lot of the victims.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes you are right. Icebergs floating in *sea* water occupy more volume when they have melted than they do when they are floating by about 3%.

That is *ONLY* true if the ice is floating in pure fresh water.

It will fall very slightly as it initially warms due to the difference in density of fresh water at 0C 999.84 kg/m^3 and fresh water at 4C 1000 kg/m^3 about 0.015% of total volume.

Paradoxically water is one of just a handful of liquids that shrink slightly when warmed so that its density is a maximum at 4C.

It is totally incorrect when the ice is floating in relatively strong cold brine seawater as it is at the poles. Archimedes Principle is that a floating object displaces its own *WEIGHT* of liquid.

Brine at latitudes where icebergs are seen is typically 3.5% salt and a density at 0C of 1028 kg/m^3 the density of pure water at 4C is

1000kg/m^3 so when the ice melts the resulting volume increases by 3% of the volume of ice melted. Icebergs are very close to pure water.

That is nothing like the 100% of volume released by ice that was previously supported on land glaciers but neither is it zero.

To put it into perspective this is equivalent to the thermal expansion of the same volume of water heated from 0C to 80C or more reasonably

100x the volume at SATP heated by about 0.8C.

That and the thermal expansion of the very large volumes of water already in the deep oceans expanding as they warm up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I think that would annoy anyone.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

No, it rises due to condensation (unles the humidity is really low)

If you ignore condensation and evaporation, and assume the system temeraure is constant (it's entirely reasonable to assume that). by boyancy-displacement and conservation of mass the water level must stay the same.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts