FCC BUST IN TEXAS

I worked for my University's student station for a couple of years. I started out on their *licensed* carrier wave station and then moved to their FM station (3KW ERP, IIRC). At the time it was the only network affiliated student station, and it *was* most certainly licensed.

After I left they did run afoul with the FCC when they moved (and modified) their transmitter/antenna without the proper authority. ...then had to go on bended knee to go back on line after being off for a month.

Karaoke carrier wave. Yuck!

--
  Keith
Reply to

Damn, "carrier current", not "carrier wave". The mind is the second thing to go...

Our station was WPGU (Parade Ground Units), after their first home; the WWII quanset-huts. (story not nearly so interesting)

--
  Keith
Reply to

be desired.

Don't worry, it too will be taxed, as soon as either side of the pond can figure out how.

--
  Keith
Reply to

finding equipment.

Yes, Jail is the only answer that the US knows. Supremely inefficient, costly, inhumane - and documented by pictures from Abu Ghraib.

Many of the commercial operators started off as pirates. The US spectrum allocation policy is quite possibly fairly efficient - but here in the UK, the FM band is allocated in chunks to various BBC stations. I can get 3 or 4 adjacent Radio 4 stations all at good quality on my car radio.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a technical newsgroup - but nobody picked up on my technical suggestion or suggested that there might be constructive or destructive interference. Instead (from Mr Bradley) I get some tight arsed comments about my suggestion being read out in court.

Reply to
richard mullens

finding equipment.

costly, inhumane - and documented by pictures from Abu

;-)

here in the UK, the FM band is allocated in chunks to

quality on my car radio.

Seems sensible. All that I can say is that were I a pirate operator concerned not to be shut down, I'd operate in a fashion that was least likely to cause interference with other (legit) operators.

my technical suggestion or suggested that there

If you want to operate in a clandestine manner, this was a technical suggestion as to how it might be accomplished. Is our freedom now so prescribed that we may not say these things ?

Interesting. I suspect that the UK laws are more draconian.

Reply to
richard mullens

I prefer this station - even though the signal to noise ratio leaves a lot to be desired.

Reply to
richard mullens

to be desired.

I gather that the Germans will shortly introduce an internet access tax.

It's been talked of here too. Final damn straw if you ask me. Why not tax the post or the air we breathe ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

[snip]

"...you folks are circling the drain"

Love it!! What a neat phrase!!

Bwahahahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson

to be desired.

Why doesn't that surprise me? Tax the user, rather than the seller. Will you E'Peons will never sacrifice a teabag?

That's what we're figning on this side of the great pond. Some of us are trying to warn the rest that you folks are circling the drain. I'd rather learn from your grand mistakes. We don't need to follow your sorry asses.

--
  Keith
Reply to

"Clandestine" "broadcasting"? Now, there's a concept! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You've never heard of "spread-spectrum"?

--
  Keith
Reply to