FCC BUST IN TEXAS

Hey Folks, Kinda down at the moment, our college radio station got busted by the FCC. Here a list of the stuff that was hauled off:

NRG PLL-PRO 3 20W TRANSMITTER NRG 220 WATT RF LINEAR AMPLIFIER NRG PRO III STEREO CODER NRG PRO III STEREO LIMITER COMPRESSOR DAIWA CN-101L SWR+POWER METER COMET CFM-95SL 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA 50 FEET OF LMR 400 COAX KENWOOD R-1000 SW RECEIVER (my fathers old short-wave radio?)

The really weird part is that we WERE NOT transmitting at the time of the raid. One of the agents tolds us that they traced us through a purchase order from Broadcast-Warehouse! It's true that we bought a

150w amp from broadcastwarehouse.com a few weeks ago. How did the FCC know about that?

Anyways, we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle interests of the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

Reply to
willfull_buck

The Jan 2000 LPFM FCC initiative greatly expanded the number of low-power FM station frequencies available by changing channel- spacing requirements. Note, LPFM = 100 watts, 30-meter antenna.

However these station licenses are not for ordinary people. "LPFM stations are available to noncommercial educational entities and public safety and transportation organizations, but are not available to individuals or for commercial operations."

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

--
Because they\'re not stupid?
Reply to

Even in Austin, the 60s are over. Cope with it.

There are some rules that benefit you. You work on a frequency that they give you, at the wattage they license. That keeps some other anarchist just like you from using your frequency at high power and drowning your message as their own expression of personal freedom. Duh.

Go fill the paperwork out. Find someone who can read, and listen several times to what the paperwork says. Follow it, and you will be fine. You can do whatever you want, you just have to do the paperwork first.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

equipment.

Dork! The FCC is actually a useful bureaucracy... at least when it comes to enforcing RF standards (but not so good at establishing "moral code"). "willfull_buck" has no right to operate at a power level above that granted by his license, if he even has one. I, for one, would think a little jail time is in order.

...Jim Thompson

didnt you have a licence?

martin

After the first death, there is no other. (Dylan Thomas)

Reply to
martin griffith

Yeah. You don't stop a train by standing in front of it on the tracks playing Superman. You stand off to one side, and throw rocks at the wheels. Eventually, it'll derail itself. >:->

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

On 14 May 2005 02:02:06 -0700, willfull snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wroth:

And I hope the FCC continues to fight your pirate radio stations. BTW, most college radio stations are legit and licenced.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

For a while in college, we ran a bootleg FM station from our dorm room. I magnaged to feed the signal back into the AC wiring for an antenna.

Other students would call our room phone with song requestes, and, if they were lucky, we wouldn't know the song and try to play it.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

So, you've heard us? To quote a famous rock singer of the 60's "For years I've suffered for my music, now its Your turn".

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

The MIT dorm system had an AC-line carrier system radio station, totally legit... call letters WMIT. Later went FM... call letters WTBS...

"WTBS Call Letter Story

In the fall of 1978, ...was an undergraduate at MIT, spending most of my time at WTBS the MIT FM radio station. The program director (Bob Connolly) and I received a call one day from someone claiming to be Ted Turner. He said he was interested in getting the call letters WTBS for his new "Superstation" WTCG in Atlanta. He offered to fly us down to ride his yacht (he was big in the America's Cup back then) or see a Braves game.

Anyway, after consultation with MIT big-wigs, station folks, lawyers, and the FCC, we decided to let him have the call letters in exchange for a $50,000 donation to the station. He gave us $25,000 on the date we released the letters, and $25,000 more when the FCC granted his application to obtain them. There was a chance that between the time we released them and he applied, someone else could have grabbed them.... hence the split payment.

By the way, WTCG stood for Turner Communications Group.... doesn't have quite the ring of Turner Broadcasting System, does it?"

See also...

...Jim Thompson

finding equipment.

inhumane - and documented by pictures from Abu

I'd be happy to take you there, but I discern a fruitiness that disqualifies you from any incarceration other than in a nut house.

in the UK, the FM band is allocated in chunks to

quality on my car radio.

I don't know your radio system, but we have almost an excess of radio availability here. So there is strict power management, not only for "neighborhood" and academic stations, but day/night power allocations for commercial operations.

my technical suggestion or suggested that there

"Perhaps broadcasting from two separate antennae would confuse direction finding equipment" does not seem to me to be a "technical suggestion", it is a suggestion to thwart the law.

The OP was in clear violation of the law. But, for there to have been equipment seizure, there HAD to be complaints of interference AND ignoring a simple mailed order to knock it off. It's extraordinarily rare for the FCC to do a raid.

Since the OP is openly belligerent, it's clear he will eventually be fined heavily, or incarcerated. Good riddance.

...Jim Thompson

Good luck, but you will need to take precautions.

Perhaps broadcasting from two separate antennae would confuse direction finding equipment.

Reply to
richard mullens

as to how it might be accomplished. Is our

"Clandestine" is only allowed at 100mW power level AND restricted antenna length.

Typical FCC violation simply gets you a letter in the mail, describing the infraction and remedies you need to take... may include, "shut it down". It takes some REALLY belligerent responses to get a visit ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Only if the Broadcast Warehouse will ship the new gear to a prison address.

Why don't you either get a license or set up a streaming station on the internet instead.

Just say \'No\' to Windows.
        -- Department of Defenestration.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

--
So they were lucky most of the time?^)
Reply to

It just goes to show, you shouldn't have valuable things in the location where a crime takes place.

So you had previously transmitted? At what frequency and power? With what call letters? Or did you just make something up??? How long had it been since you were transmitting? Several years? Maybe there's a statute of limitations for illegal radio transmission. IANAL, but it looks like you ought to get one rather than complaining on Usenet.

They have their methods, I'm sure.

And you made a Usenet post that can be taken into court to show intention to do it again... Wow. Real smucking fart. (can I say that on the radio?)

finding equipment.

And I can imagine that sentence (with the words " ...would confuse...") being read in court. I wouldn't help the OP with as much as the time of day (let me change my computer clock before I post this).

Yes, at least there are clear technical standards for allowable frequency and power output, as opposed to verbiage output.

Would it be safe to yell out "The FCC is Functioning GREAT!" over the airwaves???

IP address of the original post through RDNS is: user-12lmg59.cable.mindspring.com Well, that's Earthlink, and I have no doubt they'll cough up the customer name if the FCC chooses to investigate this post and present a court order.

-----

Ben Bradley

When I was in AV-A school of NAS Millington, TN in 1969, one of my fellow students "borrowed" an AM-transmitter trainer (made by Philco-Ford, IIRC) and set it up in his barracks room as a low-power radio station, playing mostly hard rock.

In spite of his initiative and demonstrated technical ability, he was within a few days sent out to the fleet as an ordinary Airman.

Reply to
Richard Henry

finding equipment.

EARTHLINK, INC. ERLK-TW-SANANTONIO36 (NET-69-91-64-0-1)

69.91.64.0 - 69.91.67.255

Indeed.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

finding equipment.

costly, inhumane - and documented by pictures from Abu

Yes, we should have used HARM missles, in the first case and nukes in the latter. ...far more efficient.

Irrelevant. You pay the "tax" you should get nothing more than your governent's pollution. Tell you what... We'll send you PBS and NPR, free of charge. That'll give you a "choice".

If you don' tlike the answers here, you can always listen to BBC.

--
  Keith
Reply to