Heart Beat Sensor

Hello,

I'm a student currently working on an university project dealing with the measurement of the heart rate. The heart rate should be measured with a microphone located in a chest strap (similar to polar). Is it possible to use a component that does the measurement instead of developing the filter-circuit? If not, does anyone know where I can find information on the circuit and the measurement? I searched the web and the groups, but did not find anything suitable. In advance: Thank you for your help!!!

Matthias

Reply to
Matthias

On 14 May 2005 03:05:45 -0700, "Matthias" wroth:

A microprocessor with a built-in A/D converter would be a possible single-component device. However, for a beginner, it would be the worst alternative.

I suggest building the system in stages. Find a microphone preamplifier circuit that you think you can build. Connect the preamplifier to any audio amplifier with a speaker attached. Use your ears and an oscilloscope to evaluate the microphone signal. That will let you determine what sort of filter is needed to clean up the signal. Once you have a clean signal, the next step should be to use a frequency counter. There are a great many sources of information available for each stage, preamps, filters, and counters.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:38:05 +0200, Rene Tschaggelar wroth:

I doubt that a single component heart rate sensor even exists, much less has a web site.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

It is hard to believe that "heart rate measurement" through google which gives 2.6million pages, doesn't turn up anything useable.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

There's a heart rate monitor on my website that uses a finger (or earlobe) clip, but it doesn't include an RF or magnetic link.

...Jim Thompson

I assume that you know that the Polar HRMs measure the hearts electrical activity, not sound. If the subject is exercising hard, digging out the required sound signals is going to be interesting - sounds like a job for Fourier Transform Man ...

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

dave garnett

It does, it's a replacement heart rate monitor transmitter strap, starting at $39 at . Put a small pickup coil right in the middle of it (a Polar model) and it will give a solid pulse of a few cycles of 1kHz to indicate each heartbeat. You can sometimes detect it from as far as three feet away, but not if there's much magnetic interference nearby (CRT monitor, older unshielded exercise bike, etc.).

-----

Ben Bradley