Favorite PCB cleaners

Of course when you go to the electronics store, the electronics grade IPA just sits on a shelf. And the drugstore has rows of their low grade stuff which probably burns just fine.

The irony is if use a flammable storage locker is it concentrates what fumes you do have. Yeah, they vent them, but still. And the doors in theory shouldn't produce a spark.

Somehow, I find the IPA bottle sitting around the office just fine.

Reply to
miso

A.

ce is

.

hey

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Perhaps you're thinking of "denatured" alcohol? Rubbing alcohol is, I believe, isopropyl which is already poisonous.

Reply to
cassiope

Booze has a better lobbyist!

Reply to
miso

Maybe if they were to call it rosin liqueur..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Anybody try to clean something with E85 ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I certainly am no expert, but this method seems likely to create some problems:

See it to believe it. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Back in the days of Tektronix "mainframe" scopes, the 545 types, the first thing a Tek service site would do was to wash out the scope with detergent and water, then bake it dry.

Bob Pease claimed that boards got really clean run through a dishwasher with Calgonite. Most PCB assembly done nowadays ends with a water wash.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Oh my. Reminds me of my flood. I had a bunch of electronics in the driveway, hosing them off with garden hose. Better than muddy stinking water.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It is quite obvious that "what is clear to you" amounts to gibberish.

Fuck off. It is obvious you are already brain dead.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Those trimpots probably worked better before washing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

we did it in highschool with

pure ethanol glaceal acetic acid and concwntrated sulphuric acid

?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I'm sure the OP has enough experience to realize that I was providing general advice not precise work instructions - drying the board after rinsing is a good plan and it is kind of you to remind us of that.

In the same helpful spirit I suggest that the good Karma you have gained by making a helpful suggestion might well have been cancelled out by the bad Karma resulting from your aggressive and profane language.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

The grungy fingerprints made it go down to 7e13 ohms, but overnight it went up, pinning the 1e14 range again. RH is 39%.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Cool, thanks for all the information John!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

We have one that's could accept PCBs up to perhaps 4"x6", so big enough for any prototype board I'm likely to do, if not production boards (that would generally be contract manufacturers).

My PPOE had one that was roughly half-desktop sized... it could take boards at least a foot square. Nice stuff, but expensive to keep full of chemicals too, unfortunately.

Thanks, I appreciate that!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

gregz wrote in news:1987271351353819793.684050zekor- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

that contains 15% gasoline? not a good idea....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

gregz wrote in news:1553076975353821168.167597zekor- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

While at TEK,I used to put entire scopes into our wash rack and spray them down with water and Kelite,a commercial degreaser. then rinse them with water,and into the drying oven for 3 days minimum. Customers used to bring us equipment that had been in a fire-damaged building just to get them cleaned off.

there there were the tobacco-stained stuff...YUK. I even got a scope from a tobacco company,it had enough tobacco powder in it to roll a cig! gross.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I lowered a small PCB into the vapor zone of our Baron-Blakeslee cleaning machine, above the boiling solvent tank. The board got warm with no apparent condensation at all. There was a little brief condensation onto a high-mass part, an HD15 connector.

We use this machine in the dunk-and-spray mode, so maybe it doesn't make vapor the way some others do. But the thermodynamics seems to work the way I expected, namely you won't get much condensation onto a low specific heat, high surface/mass thing like a PCB.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm not surprised, but real vapour degreasers have cooling coils at the top to manage the vapour temperature gradient, iirc. You really do get continuous solvent condensation on the part for as long as it's in there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh, ours has that, refrigerated coils and a catch tray that dumps the distillate into the clean tank. That keeps us from losing too much of the ~~$100 per gallon solvent.