Fastest rotating man-made object created (600 million RPM!)

I think I vaguely remember a Popular Electronics or Electronics Illustrated article from the '60s about doing magnetic levitation and spinning using toobs--it was called something imaginative like "Li'l Atlas".

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You levitate non-ferromagnetic conductors by eddy current repulsion. You can levitate a magnet by putting it above a spinning aluminum disk. (There's drag, of course, so you have to keep it from slinging off the edge.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hi,

Does the light provide a constant torque as the objects rotation rate is increasing? I guess the torque will decrease until the object was rotating to match the circular polarization "spiral" of the EM field, based on the speed of propagation of light through the object too. So the object will accelerate slower as it speeds up if the torque isn't constant. Also I wonder about the torque exerted on the object in relation to the frequency of circularly polarized light used? As long as the object is longer than one complete 360 degree polarization cycle, then if the frequency of light is increased would the torque remain the same or possibly increase? If the torque exerted on the object increases with the frequency of light used, then while the objects rotation rate is increasing, I think the light passing through will have a decreased frequency (less energy as energy is going into the "flywheel".

Maybe they can make a new type of energy storage flywheel with this technology, using Phil's numbers, 70pJ per object, in a 2D array on an IC perhaps, with edge on circular polarized laser light. Need a way to extract the rotational energy though. 4um diameter rotating objects, say 10um X 10um for the object plus generator, that gives 10,000 per mm^2 or 700nJ per mm^2. Increase that to a 10cm X 10cm die, and that is 10uJ, and stack the ~0.1mm thick die into a stack of 1000 and that is only 10mJ. So a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube would have only 10mJ of storage in that case, and contain about 142 million little spinning objects!

It could be useful for EM beam modification if you have a 3D grid of little transparent spinning objects that can be spun up and down electrically to modify a light beams characteristics, but if the overall energy storage is only 10mJ, that can only make a big change on a weak light beam probably.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

I haven't done the calculation, but I doubt that it varies much at nonrelativistic speeds. The angular acceleration Omega' equals the rate of change of the angular momentum divided by the moment of inertia, so it's proportional to the rate of photon absorption plus twice the rate of spin flip events.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:44:04 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

snipped link

Think of the old spinning disc electric meter.

The disk was spun by the mag fields of the two coils. That disc spun the rest of the metering dials.

Reply to
Zarathustra

Jon Elson schrieb:

Hello,

pcb drill machines are using up to 120,000 RPM or 2000 RPS.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Bill Sloman schrieb:

pcb drills are faster, up to 2000 RPS. 0.2 mm diameter tools are too small for a dentist, but not for small vias in a pcb.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

On a sunny day (Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:05:13 +0200) it happened Uwe Hercksen wrote in :

mm in the late fifties (of last century) and early sixties the quadruplex video recording system was invented by Ampex. It used 4 read / write heads on a rotating wheel that spun about 250 revolutions per second.

This to get enough head to tape speed to record the highest video frequencies (was FM modulated anyways). Wheel had air bearings, tape was positioned guided by vacuum. Made a noise like a circular saw, and indeed, sometimes when the tape stopped, it would... cut (if incorrect vacuum for example). So we are talking about a much bigger wheel, where a point on the circumference has a speed of 63,500 mm / second
Those were the first real usable video recorders... Heads did not last long and had to be cleaned, sometimes 'on air' during playback with a cloth and a bottle of freon. Was not freon later abandoned by the green idiots?

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:26:41 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Picture of head assembly, you can just see the wheel with a video head visible behind the vacuum tape guide in front:

The tape (2 inch wide) moved from left to right. When the heads were worn out (some hours...) the whole assembly went back to the factory for revision... The big screws on the left and right font ... removed the whole thing. VERY expensive to run these things.

History:

Jan Panteltje

According to Wiki, dentist drills operate up to 800,000RPM (13KRPS).

"Current iterations can operate at up to 800,000 rpm, however, most common is a 400,000 rpm "high speed" handpiece for precision work complemented with a "low speed" handpiece operating at a speed that is dictated by a micromotor which creates the momentum (max up to 40,000 rpm) for applications requiring higher torque than a high-speed handpiece can deliver."

Reply to
krw