fast flops

Hittite makes some fast flops and gates, 20-40 GHz and edges down to 10 ps or so. List price for the variable-swing variants is like $400 per gate.

Does anybody know of anybody else that does this sort of logic? ON makes some "slow" stuff, 8 Ghz/40 ps range. I seem to recall somebody that starts with A or maybe C but I can't find them now.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

or

Maybe it's Potato

Then A would be Asparagus and C would be Corn.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

or

Cute stuff, but too slow for what I'm trying to do.

Looks like Inphi has some fast flops, but they have the usual attitude about defending themselves against people who want to buy stuff.

If I try to log in with my email and usual password, it tells me that I don't have an account.

If I fill out the huge form (with two capchas) to get an account, it tells me that I already have an account.

If I fill out the form to get a new password, it tells me that I don't have an account.

I guess all the competant script kiddies are working for apps startups.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

A these speeds you are mostly talking about integrated versus discrete circuits. Do any of the most recent fpga's meet your needs? They are in 28nm which is blazingly fast but I'm not sure if the i/o would keep up

Bob

Reply to
radams2000

or

It's been beyond 40GHz for quite a while but usually you have to talk to ASIC shops for that. This was almost 10 years ago:

I've been to a few ASIC places for project-screening purposes but often, just to see their dog-and-pony show, an NDA must be signed. Some companies are quite secretive, where you have to submit information and then they decide whether to release anything.

Check this out:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Am 09.02.2013 18:05, schrieb John Larkin:

or

Things like that?

They make logic, too.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

circuits. Do any of the most recent fpga's meet your needs? They are in 28nm which is blazingly fast but I'm not sure if the i/o would keep up

I'm after the fastest possible pulses to drive an electro-optic modulator, with a goal of making light pulses in the 10-100 ps range.

We are using the SERDES blocks of an Altera part to make fast LVDS edges, but the edges are quantized to the SERDES PLL clock, currently 1 GHz. The fastest stuff that I've seen coming out of an FPGA is around 60 ps rise/fall, low level LVDS. Delay temperature coefficients are terrible in FPGAs, so even if you can make fast edges, they drift all over the place.

This is interesting, if expensive.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

circuits. Do any of the most recent fpga's meet your needs? They are in 28nm which is blazingly fast but I'm not sure if the i/o would keep up

with

level

It's probably cheaper if you buy a reel. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

or

Yikes,

or

some

A or

Interesting company but they seem to be more into the systems business, not individual logic chips.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

circuits. Do any of the most recent fpga's meet your needs? They are in 28nm which is blazingly fast but I'm not sure if the i/o would keep up

with

level

can

A reel of 3000 is roughly what my house is worth.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

out

on't

s me

ve an

And if you succeed in jumping through these hoops, the InPhi rep will ask you to sign an NDA for the spec sheet. And after *that*, they will tell you that the device you were asking about is going EOL.

Nah, it's just the usual application of the oldest law in electronics. "The niftier the part, the more annoying the process of buying it."

-- john

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

I just looked at the Altera Stratix V datasheet. The GT transceiver outputs are claimed to have 15ps rise/fall time. Typical spec only, no max / min figures supplied.

The slower GTX transceivers available on less expensive devices have a programmable rise / fall time, with datasheet limits of 30ps to 160ps and a footnote that says "The Quartus II software automatically selects the appropriate slew rate depending on the configured data rate or functional mode." Presumably you could override those settings to get close to the

30ps end of things.

In any case, the timing will come via a PLL so it will be "all over the place" as you said.

As an aside, I was designing (the non-high speed) parts of OC768 (~40Gb/s on a single wavelength) systems over ten years ago. Surely there will be a plethora of devices to choose from now, or is that just wishful thinking?

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

When you described one of your instruments recently I wondered if you do all that with off-the-shelf parts. No custom chips?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

None so far, except programming FPGAs of course. Most of what we use can be had from Digikey. PCBs are FR4.

There is some pretty fast logic around, from On and Micrel. And lots of fast PHEMTS and MMICS, which are mostly characterized for RF (s-parameters) but often work well in pulse applications. Analog Devices has some fast parts too, comparators and opamps and laser drivers.

This 10 ps project may not be possible with parts on boards. The application likely doesn't have enough volume for a custom IC, or even for wire-bonding up a hybrid.

So far, I've found On, Micrel, Adsantec, Hittite, and Inphi for picosecond logic.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

A general question- what kinds of circuits would benefit from a wire-bonded circuit? I'm thinking high speed, low power, maybe low noise. Probably size isn't much of an advantage these days.

Presumably availability of bare dice in small quantities is a major issue?

(just general interest- I was thinking of learning how to do prototype wirebonding just for the halibut).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Maybe super-low-capacitance apps, lile Phil's stuff, and ultra high speed.

This is extreme:

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That is extreme. 20GHz sampling head. What do you think that thing is dead center in SD24_4? (vertically between the two (capacitors?). It almost looks like an SOT-23-6 but much smaller.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Am 11.02.2013 15:44, schrieb Spehro Pefhany:

It has been done:

<

Follow the links in the second block & have fun!

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Cool, thanks!