Synchronizing T-flops?

The problem...

Running from a 2.2 GHz clock and squeezing power, I'm using T-flops (toggle-flops).

I DIV2 on positive edge to get 1.1GHz I also DIV2 on negative edge to get 1.1GHz but shifted +/- 90°

Continuing with the dividing I get down also to...

137.5MHz and 137.5MHz, angle +/- 90

I want to mix the 1.1GHz and 137.5MHz signals to get either 1.2375GHz or 962.5MHz in a image-reject mixer

The snag...

The sum/difference depends on phasing of each component, but, since each of the final components started out from toggle flops the final sign of the 90° is unknown.

Anyone have clever ideas to determine whether each component is + or -

90° ??

If I can determine phase I can flip to the correct phase thru a PECL inverter.

If I can solve this then the system can simply call for high or low sideband and be assured its the right one.

Right now it's random :-(

This is on an ASIC, so I must DESIGN the circuit, NOT buy something off-the-shelf which consumes more power than this whole WiFi chip.

...Jim Thompson

You need some d-flops.

John

At 2.2GHz the process was failing some corners when I tried starting with D's

...Jim Thompson

You could do the dual t-flops to get to 1.1G, like you propose, then use a d-flop running at 1.1 to determine if the t's are in the desired phase sequence or not. Use that info to flip the phase of the 137.5 to select the proper mixer output freq.

Or something.

How much image rejection do you need? Keeping close to 90 degrees at

1.1G won't be easy. 1 degree is just a few ps.

John

Aha! I think that will work. I'm thinking that, since I'm producing SSB, I only need to _know_ the 1.1GHz and 137.5MHz phase, and flip ONLY the 137.5MHz accordingly, to get a known sum or difference (high or low sideband).

In case anyone is pondering... I, the Great God of Analog, made a blooper...

Designed a chip, everything works perfectly, except... on power-up, it's random as to which side band it's on :-(

However, since there's already a switch in the logic to pick low or high sideband, I'll just add Chris' D-flop and then some logic to the switch path.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

I thought it was my flipflop.

John

You were too vague for El Denso to understand... us analog guys need pictures ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Test it using some test tone, see what the phase is, and act accordingly? This might need firmware support.

Or: use a delay (RC?) and a transmission gate to figure out the phase.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

AND, AND Not

.. flip the phase with an inverter ? That stuff is not that fast. If the inverter is just introducing 100ps delay, that amounts to a phase error of some degrees.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

"Jim Thompson" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Why don't you divide down to 550MHz with your T flops (only one chain), then divide by 4 with a ring counter.

Only 2 T flops, and 2 D flops that run at low frequency.

You know which output is which phase and this is probably even lower power than 2 dividers chains.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

--
So,

"This is on an ASIC, so I must DESIGN the circuit,NOT buy something
off-the-shelf which consumes more power than this whole WiFi chip."

should really have read more like:

"This is on an ASIC, and I don\'t know how to DESIGN the circuit, so
any FREE help would be appreciated."
Reply to
John Fields

Well, I just sort of figured that there aren't a whole lot of different ways to connect two signals to the inputs of a d-type flipflop.

John

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In addition to the two Ts, you need one D f/f (at 1.1 GHz) to determine the phase to control the PECL inverter that you (Jim) originally proposed. 137.5 MHz similarly.

By way of more explanation, take the reference (0 deg) 1.1 GHz signal to the D-clock input, and the + or - 90 signal to the D-input. If the 90 leads then the D output will be 1 and if it lags it will be 0.

HTH

Reply to
Chris Cheney

Mr. Beck, Don't let John Fields upset you. He is required to keep spouting absurd inanities in order to maintain his status as resident village idiot ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Dang, John, you and Chris are _quick!_

I was gonna answer this one! :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, free engineering consulting is a very competitive business.

John

JF designs only with 555 timers, so he never needs to ask questions.

John

Actually, relays are great. Their Ron:Roff ratio, isolation, breakdown voltage, signal bandwidth, and cost per watt switched can't be beat. Too bad they're slow and not very reliable.

Reeds are a special disappointment. They're ideal for lots of things like analog multiplexing of nasty signals, but they never come anywhere close to their claimed lifetimes.

John

Don\'t like the attitude, huh? Too bad.
Don\'t like the dotsig, huh?  Also too bad.

Think you\'ve got something to say?  You don\'t, but dumbfucks like you
don\'t seem to be able to come to that realization without some kind of
outside help, so here it is:

You\'re an ignorant son of a bitch and you have nothing important to
contribute to this group (sed).  That is, out of nine posts only three
were on topic (one only marginally) and the rest were all off-topic,
inane garbage.  Why don\'t you take a hike over to alt.cocksuckers,
where I\'m sure you\'ll find a more appreciative audience.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Thompson, on the other hand, only needs to keep posting in order to
maintain that lofty (for him) goal... ;-)