Fast but small optocouplers?

Well, there is hope:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Check NEC too, PS88xx PS8501

Martin Riddle

The usual 2kV RMS. It's not that I can't make a small one, done it many times. The issue is that on most such projects it has to come with "the papers".

Meantime I've found this from Sharp, requires a voltage and no uncommitted emitter but might do the trick here:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've done this sort of thing before. On a hi-mu toroid or bead, you can use fat-insulated wire, far apart. Maybe 1:1, or maybe 2t primary,

1t secondary?

 Click to see the full signature

Your coders have a life? Well, there's your problem.

 Click to see the full signature

I vaguely recall someone had an LED and an optical receiver chip in a single package... Avago maybe? I'll look thru my TAOS/Avago project files and see if I can find a part number. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Sat, 01 Sep 2012 11:57:06 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Something wron g there, rise and fall times worst case .8uS in 1.9 OHM????? typo? Do not confuse wuth common mode rejection in 30kV /uS

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'd appreciate a hint if they still have them. But this Sharp part should do the job. Best of all, it's only 80c a pop and half a bazillion in stock which is always a good sign.

The PWM filter is done as well but the smallest 1mH inductor I can get is still 0.100" by 0.100". Big. Strange, one problems solved and then there's always the next one. Like that li'l yellow light on the dash of my car. But luckily it was just an evap alert caused by a slightly loose gas cap and I was able to reset it via OBD-II. The shop would surely have charged $50 plus. The OBD-II interface that just arrived was $12 including shipping :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They even have kids :-)

The one a couple miles from here has a horse ranch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've done that as well when there was no other way. NRZ on the other side, or DC clamper. But ... then you are on the hook to get it certified and that's a ton of paperwork. BTDT, a lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Good point. Other than Avago, Japanese companies have always been impressive when it comes to fast yet energy-efficient opto parts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Loads of different types, eg

But not opto...

--
Syd
Reply to

Here's one family of Avago parts...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I know that series, used it myself. Problem is, they are big.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yup, typo. The test circuit in figure 1 would not be able to generate a signal at all with 1.9ohms.

??

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A bit much in quiescent current and very pricey but they sure are fast. However, one has to be careful. Several clients have been burned by fancy new-tech isolator chips (not from NVE though). In all cases the comeuppance happened at the EMC test facility.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I you are willing to power the receive side, just buy a logic optocoupler with CMOS output. There are tons of them, some very fast.

 Click to see the full signature

Well, I've seen them simply get into the wrong state. Most have incremental/edge coupling so can get confused.

 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Sat, 01 Sep 2012 12:35:06 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

bottom page 4

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thing is, I've only got a (somewhat) regulated 10V on that side and not much power. A milliamp or two. So that'll add more parts.