Failure of the Software Industry

That must be interesting. A lot of what I do is architectural design. I have to balance electronics, software, packaging, thermal, cost, future flexibility, tooling, NRE cost, and complexity. All with the understanding that the customer may not really need what they think they need now, and that we are gambling on the projected sucess of their product, which is often wildly optimistic.

There are lots of wins and losses in a process like that. You have to hope that you average a bit on the "win" side and survive. It's risky and a lot of fun.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Could it be those Canadian programers well aware of what it's like to have government controlled health care, sabotaged the healthcare.gov software just to save us. I want to be the first to say, Thank you.

Mikek (TIC)

Reply to
amdx

krw > But it's for the children! Another one they use is: It's for your own good!

Reply to
Greegor

Yes. I do big radars, which require all that balancing as well, on a grand scale. We do start with a written technical specification.

In the big-radar business, the issue is usually development risk, not market risk so much.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

e:

at its failure is having upon our society. The Software Industry failed to deliver healthcare.gov. As a result, millions of people are being hurt. We did that, folks. It was our industry, our failure.

ig and complex in so little time.

e law lacks the necessary details, depending on HHS to do the work to flesh out the law into rules that can be programmed.

l election. Then the detail programming began.

ring was made very late in the game, throwing a wrench into the works.

bly well.

called a software engineer), eventually becoming a software architect.

ave to balance electronics, software, packaging, thermal, cost, future flex ibility, tooling, NRE cost, and complexity. All with the understanding that the cust omer may not really need what they think they need now, and that we are gambling on the projected sucess of their product, which is often wildly optimistic.

Having to master all that difficult stuff doesn't leave enough of his brain free to know that you can wind +/-3% inductors on heavily gapped ferrite c ores.

There's an even more obscure point that you can still buy gapped pot cores with a hole in the central - gapped - post and an adjuster to screw into th at hole to make an adjustable inductor (not that you need much adjusting wh en the base inductance is already +/-3%), but John Larkin - the busy execut ive - is much too busy to get his head around that kind of detail

e that you average a bit on the "win" side and survive. It's risky and a lo t of fun.

It might be less risky if you knew a bit more about the passive components you use.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The DSP code must be awesome.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes, easily 60,000 lines of deeply mathematical code.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Don't forget "glitch" !

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

that

Yep, a "software guy" with an axe to grind. Seen plenty of them before. Many of them pushing various magic bullets to stop the demons of stupidity. Not so impressed. Nor do i like the proposed solution, i have seen the effect of the same in engineering; too much lowest common denominator individuals becoming the "elect".

?-)/

Reply to
josephkk

that

They could have picked thousands of other companies to do it right.

Friends of Obama

This is also true. You are beginning to see why i despise both major political parties.

mistakes. That's how government contacting works anyway. The more you screw up, the bigger the fix-up contract.

Reply to
josephkk

that

You are right on that. See:

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:29:53 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrot e:

d tens of millions are in the works.

I want to know three things:

1) How many of those policies were sold/renewed after ACA was enacted, but before it went into effect? In other words, did insurance companies stack the deck? 2) How many of those policies were actually "insurance". I submit that a p lan with a $25k deductible isn't really insurance at all, even for young, h ealthy people. They will still find it necessary to suck off the Emergency Room, or pay out of pocket, for nearly all treatment. 3) How many policies got cancelled, on average, in the years proceeding ACA ? Maybe the so-called ACA-related cancellations are well within historical industry trends?
Reply to
mpm

that

I hear you. Unfortunatly the management made several critical decisions way too late to be implemented in a timely manner (given the current structure of the system). I bet you have seen this kind of thing before.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

???

Last year, when these policies were sold, ACA wasn't in effect. The insurance companies certainly knew that they would have to cancel them this year and that those people would have to join the exchanges. IOW, these people were already baked into the rates for the exchanges.

How many had a $25K deductible. Zero? OTOH, $10 is rather common and

*is* insurance. I would submit that an "insurance" plan that covers everything is not.

Why don't you do the research, but I would be *very* surprised if it were more than 1% of that number (cancellations for reasons other than non-payment). Insurance companies don't make money from people who they cancel.

Reply to
krw

The late changes were the icing on the cake. They were doomed already, on size alone - development of hundreds of millions of lines of new code from scratch is going to require far more time than was available to get working, by a factor.

Yes. Like one project from the old days that planned to integrate a radar with a million lines of code in three months. Umm. It took more like three years.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I'm snipping the reply text here only to prevent Google from line spacing i t to death...

OK. Understood. Allow me to change the questions a little bit:

1) What percentage of the policies being canceled have provisions that disa llow pre-existing conditions (for example), and therefore cannot comply wit h ACA? Ia that the underlying reason for all the cancellations? 2) Co-pay, or deductible? $10 sounds like a co-pay number to me. So, question remains as-is. High deductible plans are great for catastroph ic care, and I agree those plans are very appealing to young healthy types. But one serious (or even not so serious) illness or accident and then wha t? Emergency room? Hardly "insurance". 3) I could not find numbers on pre-ACA annual cancellations. But maybe tha t's not the right question. How many policies CHANGED pre ACA? And by cha nge, I mean material changes in covered services, etc... Maybe that numbe r is in the millions? I don't know. The difference now of course is that a "change" could not leave the policy short of ACA mandates. So yesterday' s "change" is today's "cancellation", if you follow that reasoning.

That said, even as an Obama supporter, I think it was really stupid of him to hammer away that folks could keep their insurance policies without reall y fact-checking that eventuality first!! Wow! It is downright stunning. ( Note that this is not to say all those old policies "should" remain - which is a separate issue.)

Reply to
mpm

So don't use Google!!!

...but no one else will because you've snipped it to death. ...and haven't done a damned thing about line lengths.

Pre-existing conditions aren't an issue for renewals. It's a red herring.

Since you snipped it to death, I have no clue what you're asking.

$10K deductible.

They *are* insurance plans. A plan that pays for everything is just pre-paid medical care. Do you buy "insurance" on oil changes for your car? Would it make sense to you to do so?

It's a red herring.

He lied. People called him on it at the time but you refused to listen, like the good little sheep you are.

Reply to
krw

Why was it a good idea to insure higher risk people by overcharging lower risk people? The plan was to make young people pay a rate that was jacked up to offset the costs of payouts to older high risk people. People who would have obtained a very low rate because of their low risk of payout should be punished and made to pay a higher rate so that older and high risk people get a cheaper premium? Why was this "Robin Hood" approach to insurance supposed to get anybody a lower rate?? Calling "Affordable CARE" when it has a high deductible so it would really be "Catastrophic Medical Insurance" seems odd, too. Catastrophic medical coverage is about the opposite of "health care". If Obama would have left insured people alone and just amped up medicaid for the working poor, it might have helped people on the bottom end, and probably cheaper than the Obamacare fiasco has been.

Reply to
Greegor

because that action would NOT have enriched the insurance industry?

The banking industry got theirs; is it possible that now the insurance industry wants theirs? Who's next?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Because it's "fair"? Because it's possible. But mostly because it's "for the children".

Because they can. It's a "tax", you know. A "tax" can do anything.

It wasn't. It was an obvious lie. You saw it. I saw it. ...the Slowmans and miso's of the world *STILL* don't see it. They're impervious to the obvious.

Have you ever read "1984"?

It is, however, *insurance*. Health care is not.

Certainly cheaper, maybe even possible, but it wouldn't be "fair". It would have relegated the "poor" into second-class healthcare (instead of dropping everyone down six notches).

Reply to
krw