EnergyStar plugpacks

Our entire "home office" is all on a switchable power strip. Why leave it on standby 24/7 for a few hours of daily usage? We even unplug the wireless phone and the answering machine at night, with the welcome side effect that people can (try to) call us anytime with no danger of waking anyone.

Same for TV/VCR/DVD/Sat rcv/stereo: One click and it's positively off.

Apart from that, legislation is the only way to cut power consumption on these little applicance. No-one is going to shop around for a different (and maybe less suitable) unit to save $1/year.

See my other post on how such legislation can lead to a substantial, consumption-and-emission-free, "virtual power plant".

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I do the same thing with my main entertainment system. Shutting it all down or powering up would require juggling 3 or 4 different remotes, much easier to simply hit one switch on the wall and the entire thing goes bye-bye. And of course it all then takes ZERO standby power.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

There are a lot of slow thinkers who think that 100W extra per household is not much. Until you multiply it by 150 million or so households. Makes quite a nice waste of enery doesn't it?

Al

Reply to
Al

The slow thinkers are the ones that think 100W which is lets say 10% of the household total becomes more significant than 10% when you multiply it by

150 million.

The slow thinkers are also the ones that describe the 100W as waste when for a sizeable proportion of the year in a sizeable proportion of the world the 100W contributes to household heating and would mostly have to be replaced by the household heating system.

If you are in an area supplied by some nukes overnight a large proportion of the 100W will be supplied by nuke base load stations with zero carbon emissions while the extra work your heating system does the following day will likely emit carbon. Reducing standby power may actually increase carbon emissions in some cases.

Reply to
nospam

Gas and oil cost a lot less per BTU than electricity does in most areas.

Also, electric generator plants are a lot less efficient than home heating systems. Most electricity, at least in the US, comes from fossil fuels, so use of fossil fuel heat rather than electric heat (other than heat pumps) largely reduces fossil fuel use.

Besides, what about when it is air conditioning season? That's about

25% of the time in Chicago, 30% of the time in NYC, more in Washington DC, Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix. And I surely think much of the year LA has no need to pay for heat.

If you reduce your nighttime load, I don't think they will turn down the nukes but the oil and coal fired generating stations.

Don Klipstein

my point is that if the unit fails causing the owner to take a car ride to buy a replacment, any small energy savings is wiped out... you have not accomplished your purpose of saving energy..

you need to look at the total LIFE CYCLE COST...

and God forbid a lightning storm should cause the switcher to fail in a way that starts a fire or creates a shock hazard... off line switchers are subject to lots of bad electrical stuff and are usually the weak link in MTBF.

If they want to make more efficient iron transformers, fine, but a switcher has many down sides...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

(SNIP)

Marc, if you quote this person those of us who've blocked him still have to read his stuff!

Reply to
Suzy

--
So, (say) because you don\'t like the way GWB speaks, you want the
media to refrain from commenting on what he says?

Are you equating Phil Allison and GWB ?:-)

Phil is not exactly a "public" figure.

...Jim Thompson

Phil has a bigger vocabulary

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

--
Not at all.  I\'m just espousing allowing them both free speech, with
the responsibility for accepting or not accepting their rap being

No John

But this is a bit different, I feel. Most of us who've blocked this person are tired of his incessant filth, so it is a pity to see it anyway. Rather beats the point of blocking. I don't think there's an equivalent to blocking in the media.

Reply to
Suzy

A spelling mistake here?

Reply to
Suzy

I'll bet Phil has written his phone number in more public men's rest rooms than Bush.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then WHY would you click on a thread titled: "Winfield the Cunt "?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only because Bush can't remember his number for longer than 5 minutes at a time. Probably a Republican problem.

Reply to
Don Bowey

--
That\'s because it\'s hard to write on bush! ;)
Reply to

Sorry to carp Mike, but what does all that mean? (this is an Aust group). And what about service to *humanity* (it's not just the US that matters, you know...)

Reply to
Suzy

Good point. I use ctrl-U to bring up next unread posting and do not select by subject.

Reply to
Suzy

My newsreader is embedded in Outlook 2000. I can select words from subject line and of course author, but not words in message. All your points valid but I still prefer not to read his rubbish either direct or quoted! Of course, that invites a debate about different people's definition of rubbish (a noise is a sound you didn't want to hear). Sigh... My definition of rubbish in this case includes postings designed to offend or antagonise or that are deliberately insulting in nature. I think is should be easy to agree that? And as for the thread title, obviously that is retained to retain the very thread!

Reply to
Suzy