Electronics Group

I never said there wasn't.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Or they just find an NSP who doesn't have a problem with their users forging approval headers.

Reply to
Nobody

ren

e of

n.

I see references like this all the time on usenet. What, specifically, is wrong with the google web-reader? How is a "REAL NEWS SERVER" better? Back when I gave a shit about usenet, readers were the only way...now that I only lurk a couple groups, google seems convenient to me. I see lots of personal attacks on google users, implications of their mental weaknesses, etc...but never a useful explanation of what is BAD about google. A real answer would be much appreciated.

Reply to
tlackie

Considering that there is no such thing as an "approval header", I find it not surprising that no NSP monitors this non-event.

Reply to
Jupiter Jaq

One thing, Google is not a constant. I use Google to post sometimes, especially if I just did a search for some post to read. It does change, not always for the better. The opperation is not alway straight forward. Google started to TOP post which offended everybody, but thats stopped. At least the cursor was at the top suggesting to TOP post.

Google continues to send out spam by gmail users offending everybody.

Google does not seem to have a soul.

Google calls Usenet, Google Groups.

I have tried many news readers, and I found faults with many for some reason. Thunderbird seemed very good untill I managed to erase all my email. Don't use combination email and usenet readers.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Spam and scriptkiddies.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

cursor

Good reply.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

It's sort of amusing, trying to insult someone by comparing him with a two-time Nobel prize winner. ;)

I used to really like the MC4044 and the MC1648. The 4046 has that nasty deadband right where it wants to servo, which is a really dumb design...I always have to pull it off to one side a bit with a resistor to avoid the resulting horrid phase noise. The 4044 doesn't have the problem. The CD4046 did have that nice wide range RC oscillator that they spoiled in the HC version.

The MC1648 shows that you can actually make a nice quiet oscillator with nasty old 1960s ECL transistors. I used them for VCOs in my scanning laser microscope when I was a grad student.

And I've used the 1496 all over the place. It works best with a single cap across the output pins, and a switched-capacitor gizmo to transfer that voltage down to ground. Brilliantly useful gizmo, much much faster and much quieter than e.g. the AD632 although without the same DC accuracy. (It also costs 25 cents.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I've not used the MC1496, yet. But I have a few, now. ;) The basic scheme of it really does look useful. To my hobbyist eyes, it appears one could even reduce it back down to a useful diff-amp by using more than half a volt as fixed inputs on the carrier input pins. I liked the addition of the crafted diode+500 ohm on the bias pin, as well, which allows the bias to be set up either with a current or voltage source, if I'm reading it right. I paid 3 cents, by the way, not 25.

What I'm curious about is what part (or parts) you'd prefer using (now that you are experienced with it) in order to transfer the voltage down to ground-referenced one.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Either an LTC1043, for apps needing DC accuracy, or a regular HC43xx mux otherwise. Some better analog switches, e.g. the DG441, have low charge injection that tracks reasonably well, though probably not as well as the LTC1043.

The most fun I ever had with the 1496 was a $10 noncontact 3-axis head tracker that needed no head gear. It used three 1496s for the X+Y, X-Y, and Z-(X+Y) channels, working as single-phase lock-in amplifiers with a gain of about 400. The switched-cap thing was built out of a 74HC4352 dual 4->1 mux. The flying cap went between the poles of the two sections, and the four throws were connected to the three 1496s and to the output amp. It has a bunch of offset due to charge injection, but all I had to do was turn off the LEDs very briefly and measure the offsets. Worked brilliantly. I still have a few in my basement.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Slowman is so-o-o-o appallingly ignorant...

MC4024 = Voltage-Controlled-Multivibrator MC4044 = (Digital) PFD MC1648 = Tank Type VCO (Analog) MC1494-1496 = Analog MULTIPLIERS, which can be used as phase detectors

I'm always pleased to note that I'm the highest standard for Slowman's disdain, but please don't feed the jerk. Let him die that most unpleasant of deaths... alone ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I wasn't defending _you_, Jim--but some of those chips are friends of mine. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Warren

Of course, I've done good work all my life ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Late at night, by candle light, Bill Sloman penned this immortal opus:

I guess a foot-less moderator is better than none.

- YD.

--
File corruption detected. Select option:
1 - Call the cops
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
YD

Except I'm a really good shot with a pistol... have been ever since I was a kid. I wonder if Slowman would like to try me... I doubt it, he's your typical yellow-belly leftist weenie WUSS :-)

I'm always pleased to note that I'm the highest standard for Slowman's disdain, but please don't feed the jerk. Let him die that most unpleasant of deaths... alone ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

One thing that's sure to get posts round filed by many moderators is posting under a fictitious name/e-mail address.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

llows

=A0Warren

ass

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Jim has his virtues, and I'm happy to acknowledge them. He has also got some rather nasty vices, and while it may be insulting to point them out, he insults me often enough that I'm not motivated to spare his sensibilities.

Cured in the Philips 9046, which doesn't sell in the sort of overwhelming numbers you'd expect if the probelm was of any particular importance.

The 5GHz wideband transistors BFQ51, BFR92 etc got cheap and widely availalbel before I started messing around with high-bandwidth circuits.

Analog Devices do offer faster multipliers. The MC1496 was always a pig to use, and never justified the extra components I'd have needed to add to use it any of the applications where I might have used it. If you want to get serious, there's always the Harris HFA3101

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

e in

't

Any sensible person would stay well away from a irrational nut who happens to own a gun which he thinks he's mastered.

Since I still play field hockey - as a goal-keeper (less running around) - I don't qualify as entirely sensible.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

9046? 7046? Those ones always used to be a factor of 3 more expensive--it's a lot cheaper to use a resistor. Anyway, if your argument held it would also show that none of the fancy op amps are any better than an LM324. ;)

But the 1648 was a complete ALC oscillator, so the 1/f crap doesn't intermodulate with the signal and cause horrible close-in phase noise as in self-limited oscillators. Really a nice device for its day--clean, fast, simple (just a parallel LC needed, iirc) and with differential ECL outputs.

Sure, you can get fancy, though for serious RF mixers and stuff I typically use either Mini Circuits (which makes a lot of strong diode mixers) or cobble together FM radio chips, e.g. the $3 SA605 LNA/mixer/DLVA from NXP. But for 25 cents, the 1496 is the right medicine for a lot of ills. One of the nicest things about it is that the biasing is under your control, so you can make the speed/power tradeoff any way you like, and do tricks like the flying cap readout I mentioned a couple of posts ago.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[snip]

I think the MC1648 is my third most popular chip design... after the RS232 set MC1488/MC1489.

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature