Electronics for - loud music blocker -

Or to come back another night. Inflicting pain on your customers might not be a good business strategy.

lunatic fringe electronics

Businesses need feedback. If the food is too salty, or the light in the restroom is out, or the music is too loud, they should know.

So don't just walk out, do them a favor and let them know why.

lunatic fringe electronics

Only a real sicko would "prank" a neighbor by shutting off his TV now and then. Practical jokers and vandals and thieves are repulsive.

lunatic fringe electronics

Another approach is to take a few honest sound-level measurements, and then politely ask "Say, are you providing all of your employees with personal protection equipment? The noise in here exceeds the OSHA (or CAL-OSHA, or ...) limits by XXX decibels. If an OSHA inspector were to come in here and see that you're putting your employees at serious risk of hearing damage, you could be hit with a fine of $xxx per day until you correct the violation."

(CAL-OSHA limits seem to be an 8-hour time-weighted average of 85 dB. If sound levels are above that point, the employer has to notify employees formally of their exposure, and must provide and pay for hearing tests.)

Reply to
Dave Platt

They'll just limit shifts to 4 hours, or whatever it takes.

Reply to
krw

Den mandag den 2. maj 2016 kl. 19.45.45 UTC+2 skrev Dave Platt:

if you want to be seen as an obnoxious busy body, shown the door and told not to come back that is an excellent strategy

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hardly. If I did that, we would all get ejected from the restaurant bar as "trouble makers". The difference is whether I posed a real threat, as in your suggested scenario, or whether I simply let the managers imagination run wild and let him create his own daemons. The later works much better.

Actually, the presence of the sound level meter was totally an accident. At the time, I was doing acceptance testing on a radio that required both the microphone and speaker levels to be pass "loudness" and "noise canceling" specifications, all measured in SPL sound pressure levels at various fixed distances. This was new to us, so we purchased a cheap sound level meter to see where we stood. As it turned out, the sound belched by the speaker wasn't loud enough, and the noise canceling microphone didn't drop enough background noise. When I later visited the proposed location for the transceiver, I could see the need for such specs. The place was major noisy.

Meanwhile, I had been playing with the meter and wanted to show it off to the rest of the attendees. When the manager turned up the music level, I thought it would be a good time to see if it worked and what SPL levels we were dealing with. I didn't want to attract attention or create a confrontation, but managed to do both anyway.

Hmmm... 85 dB is the sound level inside a car in city traffic. So, if I drive somewhere for 8 hrs, I'm risking my hearing. Looks like your off by a few dB. The Calif Dept of Industrial Relations permits 90dB(A weighted) for 8.0 hrs: I'm not sure, but I think Cal/OSHA is part of the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH), which is somehow involved with the Dept of Industrial Relations.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That's 90dB for FED-OSHA. And it's probably A-weighted.

Entertainment venues may or may not be subject to OSHA regs whether by law or by neglect.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

On Mon, 02 May 2016 20:48:52 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

With the windows DOWN in an NYC downtown rush hour scenario.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

For decades now, Bose has been manufacturing and selling background noise cancelling headphones, used by fighter pilots all over the world.

Reply to
dakupoto

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote in news:eetcib9vdvgq538vfo96a5slarmano506c 4ax.com:

Reply to
John Doe

On Fri, 6 May 2016 18:07:56 -0000 (UTC), John Doe Gave us:

YOU would be blocked.