oscilloscope "music"

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Someone's obviously got *way* too much time on their hands.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

its pretty clever but the sound is not the actual waveform that created the images..

is it?

still clever.' m

Reply to
makolber

I like it !

I know that the sound is related to the waveforms driving the scope in X-Y mode and originally thought it WAS the waveforms but looking closer, I don't think so.. Might be wrong...

boB

Reply to
boB

the sound is what is driving the scope

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There's obviously more to this malarkey than meets the eye. As the proud owner of loads of good old analogue scopes I might try some of these sound files just out of curiosity.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, it seems to actually work that way. I've just tried playing some of those sounds to a scope in X-Y mode and the picture did indeed look basically like in the video. However I didn't buy any of their full sample rate audio tracks, just played the Youtube videos and sent the sound output to the scope in whatever quality it was (with compression artifacts, limited sample rate and all that). The resulting display looked OK in some of the videos, worse but recognizable in others.

Dimitrij

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

Without having to wire anything up/break out a scope :-

"Rip" the audio from one of the YouTube tracks to WAV. Load it into Cooledit/Audition Go into "Phase Analysis" mode, where it plots X vs Y (for phase checking) Set the sampling interval short (128-512 samples) otherwise it mushes too much. Hit play.

It's a bit messier than the real scope output, as there is no concept of "beam moved quickly from A to B not leaving a trace". It always leaves a trace in Cooledit :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

More

boB

They dropped the ball uploading these in stereo, by the sound of it, then. If they'd have flattened the audio to mono we'd have had to have bought the tracks to get the effect on our own scopes.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The Youtube videos are 44KHz rate/lossy compressed audio.

The originals are 192KHz/lossless raw data.

You can see the principle works, but the fine details will be knocked off, from the YouTube videos.