Loud Music From Neighbor!!!

My basement apartment neighbor plays his very loud cd stereo system. (rap music) His system is approximately twelve feet from my 1st flr apt. I tried a rational conversation with him as well as complaining to the landlord but to no avail. Is there a means of electrically interferring with his stereo? Unfortunately a signal generator has no affect. I don't care about the legality of any suggestions i undertake! I just want results!!! The above has been cross posted with other groups.

Thank You

Reply to
Radio Man

You battle a rapper with either classical music, or the hickest, twangiest, country music you can find. Or a Burl Ives Christmas CD put on infinite replay...

Reply to
Greysky

ROTFLMAO! Particularly the Burl Ives suggestion ;-)

How big/dangerous is the neighbor? I once handled a dog issue by knocking on the neighbor's door, and saying simply, "Your dog chases my wife again I'll kill it".

Next day the dog was chained down with the biggest chain I think I've ever seen ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I used this method some years ago with success !! before that, the neighbor listened to the radio but I had a small fm transmitter I could set to the frequency of the radio he was listening for... some heavy 50hz went out of his huge loudspeakers... try this when you know he's under a shower... he will go out fast !

another thing : rappers love to wake up around midday so some classic or country music around 7 or 8 in the morning very loud is very efficient I can tell you !

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to

oh put spuds up his car exhause if he has one, makes a very nice loud bang when he starts his engine up, also stone add a nice rattle, keeps the local garage happy chasing faults.....

Reply to
exxos

i almost had the same dilema has your case a year ago with a sound system of the downstair neiborhood

they where lucky because i had access to the fuse box of that neibor :) hi hi

i used to know an appartement owner how had a problem like yours and what he did was to turn off the main power to the app problematic occupant for an hour or so he only did it 3 times within that week an solved the problem

beleive me at 3 am in the morning it istn fun to be black out :) LOL

but he had access to the breaker box of the building i dont think you do :(

has for my case if they had not stop bellow i would have isolate the circuit breaker going to the hi fi system disconected that circuit and put a switch on it with a BIG JUMBO FULLY CHARGE CAPACITOR

a cap of 400 volt and above

hi hi hi i feel like the devil imself :)))) than BANG discharge it throught that circuit

beleive me any thing on the powersupply side of theyre sound system would be VAPORIZED with a BANG like a shotgun coming from the inside of theyre hi fi

a fuse cant protech that fast sutch a short high power pulse time

any one can comment on this one as i feel EVIL now !

Reply to
nanotech1

Illegalities having been put aside? And understanding that neighbour is not playing from an FM or AM radio station? So a transmitter unlikely to be effective?

1) Can the OP get at the fuse or circuit breaker which serves the outlet into which the CD/Audio system is plugged!Preferably without being observed. Also does the OP have some technical competence and a few of tools? 2) If so some possibilities are tripping the breaker or loosening the live wire for that circuit and then say (to neighbour or others who will pass it on) "When a stereo is too loud it takes more power than the circuit can handle and it MAY blow the fuse or trip the breaker". Pause for effect, "Best alternative, therefore is to turn it down several notches". And/or "Maybe the noise has loosened the wires?". That's the technical approach. The following is mean; really mean! And also illegal ............ you could at least get sued! So look forward to seeing you on 'Judge Judy'! 3) The audio system presumably works from a 115 volt outlet? By moving the neutral wire at the circuit panel to the other side of the 230 volt supply, for a short while (230 volts!) and then putting it back might not do the audio system any good? Again it could perhaps be blamed as "Yeah; I always wondered if playing it that loud might blow something inside ........ , maybe overloaded the power supply or summat, huh?". 4) For neither of the above; I like the idea of playing, loudly with your speakers flat on the floor facing downwards to be quickly tilted upright if anyone comes to your, door, loud, classical music, jazz, swing, Strauss waltzes, Oklahoma, Annie get Your Gun etc. Anything but rap! I've heard that some shopkeepers chased away teenagers who were discouraging regular customers, by their otherwise legal presence, hanging around in front of the stores, by playing either classical and/or religious music through speakers in the doorways! Apparently the teenagers didn't like the music even though it was not that loud or offensive! 5) Observe the noisy neighbour's daily schedule and make sure your 'loud music' is on when least convenient to them. Then negotiation could be, "I won't play loud at 7.00 AM if you won't at play loud at 11.00 PM". Again, pause, "Why not both of us not play loud anytime?". 6) The dog barking story. Shortened version; two couples A and B, adjacent apartments. Couple B would go out for several hours during which their dog would bark incessantly, often with the balcony doors left open. Couple A complained, but the Bs didn't believe and took no action. Finally couple A recorded dog barking by placing their stereo system microphone on their own balcony a few feet away. A day or so later couple A went out for a few hours leaving the recording of the dog playing continuously at high volume with their speakers near the open doors to 'their' balcony. Since this was in the days of 8 track tapes the tape just repeated itself for several hours. Couple B never left dog alone again! 7) So item (6) might suggest that if the 'same' rap was played back. But out of sync and at awkward times; neighbour got to sleep sometime eh? It might be fighting fire with fire? "Gee whiz we both enjoy rap, eh? Man.". "Bet mine is not as loud as yours though?". Frankly I'd move; although your jurisdiction might have 'Noise abatement by-laws'. If someone phoned in while you were not at home, from a payphone, especially if that person was not of the same sex as yourself, complaining "About a lot of noise at address such and such .......... And no I don't want to leave my name thankyou "! And you would not even be home! "Wot me complain? No way Hose! Wasn't even here!". Unfortunately an unreasonable/inconsiderate neighbour cannot always be won easily. But you never know a nice cake or box of cookies at Christmas or other suitable holiday time might be a suitable 'overture'? Or would that be "a prelude" to a better relationship? That's an intended pun btw.
Reply to
Terry

Actually enforcing the city and/or apartment noise ordinance is what I'd do. You have a right to quiet, especially after 10 PM in most places. The police will usually come out on slow nights and give verbal warnings. That is, if you can live with the repercussions. Guys like that are terrorist bullies and it takes gumption to silence them.

JT

Reply to
Jack Tyler

I notice

that you don't cross-post, but instead posting THE SAME QUESTION INDIVIDUALLY to multiple groups.

(Myself, I think setting "follow-ups" is an equally bad idea

--with the same problem: some folks don't see all the responses.)

Reply to
JeffM

I don't know the regulations for your area where you live. In our area, after 21:00 or before 09:00, if someone is making loud noise, they can be fined. Even within the boundaries of these times of the day, there are still noise levels that cannot be exceeded. At the second offence, the equipment making the noise is seized, and the person must appear in court to pay a fine. At the third offence, they can do jail time!

You should contact your local police department, and lodge an official complaint. The charge in most places is, "disturbing the peace". If this does not apply, then there may be a possibility of having the person charged under the health laws. His loud noise is effecting your health, and you want to lodge a complaint in that matter.

Over here we have a saying, "If you want to throw a party with loud music, it is best to invite all the neighbours that live within an ear shot".

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Radio Man"  wrote in message
My basement apartment neighbor plays his very
loud cd stereo system. (rap music) His system is approximately twelve
feet from my 1st flr apt. I tried a rational conversation with
him as well as complaining to the landlord but to no avail.
Is there a means of electrically interferring with his stereo?
Unfortunately a signal generator has no affect. I don't care
about the legality of any suggestions i undertake! I just want
results!!! The above has been cross posted with other groups.

                                            Thank You
Reply to
Jerry G.

One state over, it'd have been "I'll kill you" :-)

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

Hmmm? Which state would that be?

...Jim Thompson

Go east, young man :-)

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

New Mexico? Those people are so laid back I didn't know they had the strength to raise a pistol.

...Jim Thompson

Of course it's always better to get on somebody's good side. Don't know how you'll do that under the circumstances.

That movie director John Waters that made Pink Flamingos recently compiled an album of the most obscure, bizarre Christmas songs he could find. I heard some of it on the radio. Way strange.

I'm sure CD's of traditional Polka music can still be had.

Remember the Chipmunks?

Just brainstorming ideas for what to play if it comes down to a battle of the stereos.

Reply to
kellrobinson

"Slow to anger, but lethal in their fury"?

Never seen as many mean-looking cops anywhere else, though.

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)