Neighbor With Loud Music!!!!!!

Rich is right. This is a legal matter. Doing something illegal yourself will weaken your case. Let the cops and judges do their jobs. You're paying them anyway.

You often only get someone's attention when it starts costing him money.

JeffM

Keep in mind this will only work if he is listening to the radio. Getting one of those gadgets to play your portable mp3 player on your car radio, through an FM station, would work. Put in some classical music, and plug this thing

into the head phone jack of whatever is playing the music and tune it to the station he is listening to. On second thought getting one of those test CD's that have a "white noise" test signal on them might be better, or maybe plug it into the output of an AM radio that is tuned into some good static lol.

If he is playing CD's or tapes, you will need something more than a simple transmitter to stop it. A strong electromagnetic pulse can, depending on the strength and distance, permanently or temporarily disable any electronic device with in range. I wouldn't recommend doing that though, since it could kill anything electronic in your apartment and his. A lower intensity pulse would be safer but you would have to be very close to his stereo to have any effect.

--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
http://thewishzone.com

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
Reply to
Chris W

My basement apartment neighbor plays his very loud cd stereo system. (rap music) His system is approximately twelve feet from my 1st flr apt. I tried a rational conversation with him as well as complaining to the landlord but to no avail. Is there a means of electrically interferring with his stereo? Unfortunately a signal generator has no affect. I don't care about the legality of any suggestions i undertake! I just want results!!! The above has been cross posted with other groups.

Thank You

Reply to
Radio Man

Get a ham radio license. An indoor antenna and the proper selection of frequency and output power will fix you(him) right up.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The word "rap" should never be used as an adjective for "music".

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man afire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Maybe, but a signal powerful enough to do so would interfere with lots of other electrical devices in your area. This could result in you getting into serious trouble, as well as being a danger to your health.

I suggest that you look up the relevant laws in your area and make a complaint to the relevant authority. For example, in England it is an offence under the "Environmental Protection Act 1990" to cause a noise nuisance. I'm sure your country will have similar laws.

Try Googling for:

"noise nuisance"

Gareth.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth

If you're unconcerned with legality, forget about electrical devices. Devices from Smith & Wesson have been known to provide excellent results. On the off chance that you really ARE concerned with legality, borrow a sound level meter and verify that the noise exceeds the legal level in your situation. Cops may even have one they can help you with. Often, annoying sound levels are perfectly legal. Know where you stand legally before you proceed. Intentionally interfering (electromagnecly) with his music IS illegal. You may become the only criminal involved in the dispute. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:35:04 GMT in sci.electronics.basics, "Anthony Fremont" wrote msg :

A CB radio might do the trick. Believe it or not, similar problems arise in military barracks. I saw a case where the problem was reversed, a friend who never intruded with his music would get his speakers filled with lively trucker conversation from a fellow downstairs who ran a CB base station. I'm not sure what level the interference creeped in at, he said the CB audio would not be picked up when doing audio recording.

Bear in mind that intentionally becoming a nuisance is a bit boorish.

--
http://www.xmission.com/~tiger885/motorbike/NART/nart.html
Reply to

You can put up a screen of your own sounds, by playing some music all the time, 24/7, which will mask most of the sounds from the neighbor. Your music does not have to be anywhere near as loud as your neighbors music, because you are a lot closer to your own music. I have found this to be the best remedy against disturbances from neighbors.

Put stereo loudspeakers very close to your bed, so you can rest in your own universe of sounds, which is under your own control. Choose some music you can get used to hear constantly. If the disturbances consists mainly of bass sounds you can choose music with a lot of bass, to mask the bass sounds. Using a sound editor like cooledit you can even create special sound files, which disturb yourself as little as possible, and mask the unwanted noises as much as possible.

You can also build passive sound screens around the places in your apartment where you spend most time. Around the bed, and the workbench. The masking music works even better if you have some passive isolation too, because you can hear your own music, inside the screen, better than the noise, from outside the screen. And the screen dampens the sound of your own music, so your other neighbors do not complain about you.

A passive soundscreen can be made from some wooden planks and some heavy cloth material, like mats, old type mattresses, blankets, etc.. Modern light materials like light-weight foam plastic and microfiber blankets are useless for damping sound. The material has to be heavy. Fiber board is good, with heavy materials like wool blankets covering all surfaces, both inside and outside.

You can use a passive soundscreen in just one direction, or in more directions. Maybe you end up with a small house around your bed, your tv, your stereo and your computer, a small house inside your apartment. Your own little world, where neighbors cannot disturb you, where you can rest and sleep any time of day.

--
Roger J.
Reply to