Electronics for - loud music blocker -

I dont know how else to put it so let call it LMB :-)

The purposes of this device should be to automatically block loud music in places like, cafe bars etc.

The device should consist of two relays and some arduino or other mcu.

Costumer should set some defined decibel value ( with pot ) and if the played jukebox music should be greater then defined, relay triggers and shuts down entire music for some amount of time ( cca 20 seconds ).

So, basically, as same if you would unplug power cord of some jukebox, but we are shutting down just music and not the whole box.

As far as i can see from the devices on the market, electronics is made on the way that one is measuring current ( not the DB ) and if the current is to high, relay triggers.

What would be the best and cheaps way to do this ? I was planning to do this with arduino and some current sensor but i dont know if this would work as suspected...

Anyways, any suggestion is welcome.

Current sensor:

gm

Riiighhhtttt. And you're going to shut the music off how, exactly? By unplugging the jukebox and plugging it into your gizmo?

You'd have to own the place to get away with that, at which point you might as well just mod the jukebox so that the volume only goes up to

5-1/2 instead of 11.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Why?

Who's the "customer"? The bar owner? Or, the elderly couple sitting in the booth out back? (interesting to see how that couple takes the time to install said device before sitting down for their libations!)

How do you access the speakers *inside* the jukebox (to intercept the audio)?

Perhaps, you might provide a pointer to those devices so folks understand what you are trying to do and the market you are hoping to address.

Bar owner sets maximum gain on the amplifier located in the bottom of the jukebox. Or, installs an L/T-pad in the output to each speaker. (I threw 3 of them out, last week)

Patron gets up and leaves the establishment (which, eventually, prompts bar owner to adjust max gain downward)

"Loud" is a function of loudspeaker efficiency, frequency of audio source and distance from that source (as well as hearing characteristics of the listener; Grandma Louise probably can tolerate a higher SPL than Baby Jennifer).

Reply to
Don Y

placing a dead short into a nearby AC wall socket maybe (or even better, triggering a ground fault protector)? :-)

Reply to
frank

The best solution is mechanical:

Les Cargill
Reply to
Les Cargill

There's a place near here, Trick Dog, that makes an incredible burger and fries, and the sound level is unbearable. I bring ear plugs. But not $12.95 earplugs. But wideband acoustic attenuators are an interesting idea, sort of a reverse hearing aid.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'd like to find a decent over-the-ear pair that was also a Bluetooth headset.

Reply to
krw

There is a place near here which has good steaks, but it is too noisy for c onversation.

The last time I was there , I started thinking about noise cancelling headp hones. Only instead of headphones, noise cancelling loudspeakers. Now of course noise cancelling loudspeakers will not work. Or will they. If you had a hundred noise cancelling loudspeakers all low energy, would that act as a super absorbent surface? If it used low power class D amps , it might be feasible.

But even if it worked well, I doubt if any place would buy such a system. If they wanted to reduce the noise they could install sound adsorbent tiles on the ceilings and some sound adsorbent material under all the chairs.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

You're not supposed to talk. You're supposed to eat! ;-)/2

It'll work but each "quiet zone" has to be pretty small (or the number of variables and computations goes through the roof). Canceling headphones work because the zone _is_ small and there are only two.

Yep. Noise is a feature. You're also supposed to eat and go back to the bar, where you can spend more money and not hear your partner. Unbelievably, people like it. Quiet restaurants are "dead" places. If people didn't like the atmosphere, restaurants wouldn't have the open "industrial" style.

Reply to
krw

On Sun, 1 May 2016 20:28:16 +0200, gm Gave us:

This group needs an RIB (Retarded Idiot Blocker)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

For *once* AlwaysWrong got one right but not in the way he says.

Reply to
krw

A zillion speakers with resistive loads would absorb sound, but so would carpet or drapes, only better and cheaper.

lunatic fringe electronics

Oh, he's just trying to make friends.

lunatic fringe electronics

For TV, there is a solution: TV-B-Gone.

Wackypedia claims it works with ~85% of TVs

Principle is simple: transmit every TV's "off" command in sequence.

For other sources, I'm told the noise diminishes after stabbing the loudspeaker with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

there is of course the option of leaving the place if you don't like the sound level, but I guess that would be too easy

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Sun, 01 May 2016 16:13:28 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

snip

I find it interesting that in an establishment that provides a "juke box" specifically for customers and has those customers as a target demographic, would have to endure childish little putzes who want to visit the establishment,but piss and moan about the features of the establishment to the effect of denying the entire remainder of the patrons one of the actual elements they went there to have.

IOW, what a pussy. You don't like it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO EAT.

Friendly enough for you?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

But sometimes the food is too good! Earplug time. The noise isn't usually from the music, it's from the patrons. If the place is acoustically live enough, everybody starts shouting.

A lot of bars and restaurants are going to be legally liable for destroying the hearing of employees.

lunatic fringe electronics

Exactly what we all expected.

lunatic fringe electronics

On Sun, 01 May 2016 17:05:51 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

So you think it is normal to go into a place like a bar or diner that has a juke box for its customers and ask the establishment to turn the thing down for you?

Are you going to go round and pay all the folks who put money into it their money back?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

How positively Conservative of you! Don't you know that you're supposed to play the victim card?!

Reply to
krw