e-mail a hand-drawn sketch

It's aliasing with the pixels of the CRT. - No, wait. It's not exactly aliasing - when you display it smaller than 1:1, it loses pixels. It can't interpolate - when you shrink from (e.g.) 3 pixels to 2, you lose one.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

PDF isn't a image format. Acrobat will store images in a number of formats. Jim, your drawings from Schematics and PSpice are probably stored as CCITT group 4. For line art, CCITT group 4 is hard to beat for black & white. If you have colorful line drawings, then I use ZIP compression of the image in Acrobat's settings with no downsampling.

For word processor documents, my favorite is PNG for line drawings like schematics.

As for your viewing of image files, if you view gif, png, pcx type images at something less than 100% you get aliasing. Some viewers will attempt to anti-alias the image. You can turn off smoothing in Acrobat which speeds up page redraw time at the expense of an aliased image.

--
Mark
Reply to

Winfield Hill asked about

If your scanner or its software doesn't have an email button, then do the following to speed up the email step:

  1. Beforehand (ie one time only) create a desktop shortcut to the directory where you typically will save the scan. [Ie, open the directory above that one, then right-drag the proper folder name to desktop, or perhaps to taskbar, and select Create Shortcut.]

  1. After you do a scan, click the shortcut created above.

  2. Right-click the item to be emailed and select Send To... and select email. Email program will open a Compose window with item attached. [If you want to attach multiple items, highlight them and then right-click.]

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Thanks Jim, that's a good one!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If you insist on doing this in Windows it might be cumbersome. In the Unix world you have primitive shell scripts to glue everything together. Takes a bit of time though, but in my experience learning the ropes once and saving time in the future is moore efficient (and fun) than to repeat the same dozen of mousecklicks over and over again. Of course an OS mainly aimed at secretaries and home use doesn't have to be geared towards efficient professional use.

I thought so.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Every one of Jim's pdfs I've seen has had drawings in vector format inside. I've extracted a few as dxfs.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse