Hand soldering 0201

Hi all

In a near future, we will design board with 0201 components. My main concern is hand soldering as we dont want to subcontract for our prototype assembly.

I have just finished a 0402 assembly (by hand) and even with the equipment we have (very small solder tips), it was not a walk in a park but it was ok. Our board is pretty dense and sometimes solder tips touch another component while soldering another :)

What do you use for equipment (soldering iron, solder paste or wire,....)?

thank you

Caroline

Reply to
Rouqueen

You might look into getting a Zephertronics unit:

Also, the Metcal hoof tips work fairly well for small surface mount parts. Instead of directly soldering each pin, you use the tip to move a small volume of molten solder around that wicks to the pads.

Reply to
Gary Reichlinger

Been there :-)

The first couple of times around, I used a metcal iron with a 20 mil tip, but the wire solder kept balling up instead of wetting the parts. Now, what I do is use paste.

Two options for putting the paste down:

  1. Use a stencil. You can make your own (brass), or have one made (mylar, stainless)

  1. Use a syringe applicator and dab it down by hand.

Two options for reflowing the paste:

  1. Use your iron. A fine tip anywhere near the paste will reflow the paste, or you can use a hot air pencil or talon.

  1. Use a hotplate.
    and see the tutorials at sparkfun.com.

With the iron, the tricky bit is holding the part in place while you heat it. Either a sharpened toothpick or fine placement tweezers will do, but don't trust the iron to not pick the part up once the solder melts.

Reply to
DJ Delorie