DVM measuring volts and amps

I wonder if this works:

the idea being to just ask the DVM to measure the voltage or the current. The DVM would be a benchtop, probably a Keithley 2100 or something. The issue is whether the current path is always low resistance.

Has anyone done this?

I have not, and have the strong impression that switching from amps to volts under load will end badly. At the very least, the V and I measurements will interfere with one another - this is not a use case discussed in the manuals.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

We do this a lot. The shunt is always very low resistance.

On the order of 1 milliohm at least for measuring hundreds of amps. Bidirectional current too.

A few millivolts of drop can offset your output load V measurement but looks like you are measuring the input source V ?

boB

Reply to
boB

Works fine.

Reply to
Tabby

It probably is, especially if the meter can measure power.

If it cannot measure power there is probably a single ADC and there may be insufficient isolation between the current shunt and the voltage divider such that signals on one could peteturb readings of the other.

I tried on a cheap hand-held and it didn't work well, current showed on the voltage range.

Do you have the schematic for your instrument?

Reply to
Jasen Betts

In a typical VOM, the 'I' sense resistor is switched. So, doing an I measurement ony happens when V measurement is antiselected. A few high-current-range meters have an I terminal with a herky resistor outside the switch connection, but if that's the circuit you want, just use two V meters and a shunt, no need to trust the DVM box's innards.

My Fluke 87 chirps a complaint if V and I probe plugs are both inserted...

Reply to
whit3rd

There's no end of optimistic idiots.

does go into the right way of doing this. It's called a Kelvin connection.

He died in 1907, so the idea has been around for a while, though it may not have got to Tulane.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

That's not the problem. He needs to be able to work out when it would be useful.

Understanding the potential problem with what you are doing isn't always necessary, but it can be vital.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

It will be in an automated test set, with a Python program running everything. No need to push buttons.

The alternative would be a little box with a current shunt or two, and some SSRs to switch between voltage and current measurements. That would need logic signals to do the switching, but I can get that from somewhere.

I assume the folks at Fluke and Keithley do too.

The DVM will be rackmount and interfaced to a computer running automated tests.

Some DVMs have extra terminals on their front panels to make it easy for people who know what they are doing to exploit the technique.

That doesn't mean that the connections will be set up to avoid putting lead resistance where it is unhelpful.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

for current and voltage??

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Can't remember the details, but if memory serves it was it would have been fours sets of banana plug sockets to which you could also clamp spade terminals. You'd clamp the shunt resistor between the current terminals, clamp a pair of flat metal links up to the voltage terminals, and feed the current to be measured into the lower (current) pair of banana plug sockets, using cables terminated with banana plugs . Nothing all that exciting, but handy.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

makes no sense

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Didn't stop the meter being produced in large enough volume for one of my employers to buy one. It did come off a production line.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

but what would be the point?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Reality is it depends on the meter. So you can design a universally compatible setup or restrict it to ones that work ok with your setup.

Reply to
Tabby

Quite possibly just to let purchasers who knew about Kelvin connections make a fuss about the technique in front of their less sophisticated colleagues.

I had a least one boss whose sales technique did depend on making the people he was selling to happy to buy the gear, rather than concentrating on making the gear easier to use for the people who ended up using it.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman