Fluke 77 DVM

Otherwise trusty meter, whenever I try on a Weston Cell it is always the same voltage registered. But now on the ohms scale will sometimes read

10 or 12 meg with no probes in place. Good battery. Something to do with the screen shielding? Without any metal covering, ie the top cover removed and no replacement for the now missing sticky backed foil over the shielded tinplate box, the meter will not pass POST, all segments lit on display permanent and no beep on changing rotary sw setting, normal ?. So start with cover in place , turn to ohms, and remove cover , it goes to the floating 10s of megs. Twizzle sticking does not show suspect switch , preset or anything, and gradually drifts to over-scale, >30M. Something going leaky with age?
Reply to
N_Cook

Since the last time I looked Fluke has placed the SM and schematic out there

N_Cook

Did you try cleaning the gunk out of the probe sockets? Probably have to remove the board.

Some meters have a split contact in the socket that sets off an an alarm if you try to measure volts with the probe in the current socket. Gotta be some voltage somewhere to sense. Can that leak thru socket gunk?

Reply to
mike

"Nutcase Pommy Kook"

** It's covered in a thick, sticky layer of your asinine bullshit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I would simply flush out everything inside with contact cleaner. It's more likely to be an accumulation of schmutz, than something wrong with the electronics.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The uk has been permanently damp for about 2 months now. Perhaps something has gone hydroscopic. Brushed meths over both sides of the lower part of the pcb and allowed to dry off. Much the same 10s of megs. When powered up and open I played a distant hot air gun over the dvm, held in hand at the time so only hair drier temp and the o/c ohms suddenly dropped to 10s of K . Let it cool down and gradually went to >33M and repeated switching on/off the last few times has stayed that way. Reminded of a batch of Marshall amp pcbs that had contamination inside them combined with damp perhaps and marked increase in conductivity with relatively slight warming of the pcb, but HV there in that case

Reply to
N_Cook

Glad to hear the patient is improving. What about the switches and the jacks?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

When the dvm was in errant mode , saying say 15Meg, stressing rotary sw wafer or sockets etc with a plastic pen barrel made no marked change in the reading, wavering much the same +/- 10K or so, long term wavering

10M to 20Meg, whether twizzling or not. Will see tomorrow if the ohms scale opens at 10s of megs rather than >33 megs
Reply to
N_Cook

gets you into the directory structure with access to other strange and wonderful stuff including a calibration manual for Fluke 187/189

Reply to
bud--

My DMM acted like that at one point, and I took it apart, thinking the switch was dirty. But no.

It turned out the fuse was bad. It still had continuity, but not zero ohms. A new fuse fixed the problem.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

My DMM acted like that at one point, and I took it apart, thinking the switch was dirty. But no.

It turned out the fuse was bad. It still had continuity, but not zero ohms. A new fuse fixed the problem.

Michael

There is also a resistor that fuses open (fusistor) when too much current flows. It's usually light brown or blue in color near the input jacks. It's either 1 Kohm or 1 Megohm. It has been over 18 years since I worked on these so all the details arn't clear. If it's blown, it will give funny reading too. For cleaning the PCB - use electronics grade Isopropyl alcohol and a new clean tooth brush. Scrub the board top and bottom near the input jacks, then rinse with more alcohol and let it dry properly.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

I've had that failure before on another Fluke and the symptom then is that readings are about 1 percent of what they should be, no wavering.

Another rain-soaked night in the UK, but trying out this 77, shows >33meg for open probes and Weston Cell reading 1.017V (on DCV scale) as it always has been over 20 years and using the same cell

Reply to
N_Cook

well over a week on of daily use and no return to wavering digits

Reply to
N_Cook