DVM measuring method

I'm working at a univercity where were're teaching electronics and I want to find out how DVMs particulary the standard type we use[1] measure their values and achieve the accuracy stated.

Do they use the wheatstone bridge method or is there another method with modern digital meters.

Thanks for any help or pointers to help/info

[1] Ours are mostly Black Star 3 1/2 digit nothing expensive just basicspec meter.
Reply to
davew

Go to

for a short description of these IC's

regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tweddle

Youse no engrish?

Reply to
Robert Baer

You can download the service guide for the HP 34401A DMM (a very popular lab-grade model) at

90013.pdf (160 pages, 12 MB). HP service manuals generally make excellent tutorials.

Short answer: no, direct A-D conversion is the usual measurement technique in commercial meters. Certain RF instruments use the Wheatstone Bridge principle to deal with complex impedances, but it's not widespread elsewhere.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles