nice DVM

My old handheld finally got weird, so I got a Fluke 17B+ from Amazon. It's really nice.

It measures capacitance, frequency, and temperature too. The thermocouple needs a dual banana plug, which is kinda weird.

But I blew a fuse in the current path, so I had to order a fuse kit, and open it up and replace one.

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

So Fluke is selling a rebranded AN8009 too? Oh, maybe not. It doesn't have an NCV measurement.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Nice dual footprints with the glob top ASIC

I have seen those bond wires been done in standard production setup

--
Klaus Kragelund
Reply to

Klaus Kragelund
Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Cool. But a pick-and-place machine would plop a tested, packaged part in one second, and wouldn't need the glob-top step.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

How's the battery life? I had a fluke that chewed through 4 AA's in ~24hr's of operation.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

So? The pick and place machine requires a whole other machine that does th e same operation on a wire frame followed by an epoxy encapsulation step fo llowed by a lead frame forming/shearing step. If it wasn't cheaper to put it right on the board I'm sure they would not do it that way.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Don't know yet. It uses two AAs. At least it has a snap-open cover to access the batteries. I have other DVMs that require unscrewing the whole thing to replace the battery.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

Exactly

I have been through the calculation for a product, in which we abandoned the idea for other reasons

But, often the encapsulation process is more expensive than the die. Also, most sites don't have ways to vertical integrate that production step

A cheap bonding process that can be done on site is dirt cheap and flexible

Glob top is also cheap and avoids stresses from a package

--
Klaus Kragelund
Reply to

** Spec sheet says 500 hrs min.

** That is an important safety feature with most hand held DMMs.

Hope that cover needs a tool to open.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Those fuses used to be mega bucks. In an emergency, I soldered a single strand of 7/0.2 across the fuse... got us out of trouble...

TTman

Amazon has fuses for that DVM. About $4 each.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

TTman wrote: >

** Really - 0.2mm tinned copper = 3 or 4amp fuse.

Take 0.5mm to be rated at 15amp.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

the 17B is probably chinese market only item. Safety doesn't matter.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It's a Fluke, so I assume that it has the usual Fluke quality control and warranty. And I suspect that the CE and UL and FCC tags are for real. I got mine from Amazon.

I've never had a bad Fluke instrument. Or even a mediocre one. The first Fluke that I ever used was a vacuum tube differential voltmeter, which was a superb box.

===================

** Bullshit. Its a regular line from Fluke sold world wide.

Interestingly, Fluke state it's *not for domestic use*.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Fluke is allowed to slap together product for the second and third world markets. I'd be interested to see what safety ratings and radio emission standards this india/china meter meets.

It's probably a OK fine meter, just don't don't get too carried away by the Fluke (Tianjin School, Prison #7 and Electical Works, Ltd) badge it carries.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

-------------------------------------

** Radio emissons ????? Take you hand off it ..........

FYI: The only safety issue I suspect is the lack of a fastener to access the two AA cells.

Why?

Cos if you drop the meter * while the probes are attached to a high voltage* grabbing the meter might allow finger contact with said voltage. Ouch.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm never sure what they *mean* by that.

"For outdoor use only?: Ok, I'll only use it out in the garden then, in the rain ..." ?

"Experts Only: Not to be used by consumers too stupid to operate it correctly" ?

"Not for measuring domestic mains voltages, might explode even on the 600VAC range" ? (I'm thinking of the Dave's EE blog where he tested certain badly made meters that would barely measure within their own ranges without melting, and would turn to fireworks at a moment's notice).

What is the actual intent behind that phrase?

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

Mike wrote: ==========

** Or safely.

** You lack sufficient negative imagination about the outcomes of various common mistakes.

EGsz:

  1. With the meter set to the 10A range you probe a car battery.

  1. Same with the incoming AC supply ( 2 or 3 phase) to a premises.

In both the above, the probe leads will burst into flames in a few milliseconds - and meter.

Nasty burns to the operator, or their eyes.

The warnings are all about legal liability coming back to haunt the maker or seller.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison