DTV antennas?

aspect wrong,

de-interlace.

exit 1

-o | cp /dev/stdin /mnt/hdd4/video/cctv9.hotbird.12:53_18_07_2008

Hey, this time less jagged lines.

Guess that must have been the problem then.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's an environmental concern. Those CRT contain lots of lead. We just keep using them, bought converter boxes.

Yeah, but do you guys have 1080 line?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Websites done by this guy?

;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:21:01 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

There is considerable space between the stripes in a trinitron. If the beam is loasy foucus it may look smoother... :-)

mmm must be a small screen, or hit harder :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:24:41 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

artefacts,

On sat, yes, many stations. On terrestrial no, but just last week a new standard was born that supports that. As mentioned here before, some sat station was already stopping HD, as HD only makes sense if you really have a LCD 1920x1080, and very few people have that (IIRC I gave you the German link). And in my personal view, even if you have a 1920x1080 LCD, for a normal living room size it makes little sense, HD. When 720x576 here is transmitted with proper bitrate, it leaves very little to be desired for viewing experience, What good is HD 1920x1080 with low bitrates? As a selling argument more pixels works, but only so far. Next will perhaps be 4096xsomething, almost like 96 kHz audio. Some will have the huge hall to watch it in. Most will not.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's nicely focused. It just works for me, especially since I started needing glasses.

It's da big one and I am not going to hit it with a sledge hammer ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

And will that now make a lot of hardware obsolete? Again?

I can only tell you that it sure does make a difference on a 37" set. On smaller sets, not really.

Actually the bit rates is ok. I have watched ballroom dancing on it and during dances with rapid movements such as the tango I'd have seen any shortfalls there. Then there was a parachuting documentary in full HD. Oh man, like heaven.

Only with the matching tube amp ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:16:26 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Indeed I expect few broadcasters to jump on that ship right away, but new electronics must be sold. The old analog BW system lasted some 50 years, DVB-S was 8 years, as now we also have DVB-S2, DVB-T lasted 1 year with now DVB-T2.. So, extrapolating, consumers need a new box every month in the future, I ain't kidding you now, Premiere just changed their encryption system, and of course not all receivers support that, a list on their website shows who needs to buy a new one. I think as soon as it is hacked again (that is why they changed it), every body a new card and a new box... The electronics manufacturers must love it.

Give numbers, what bitrate, what resultion is transmitted, what resolution does your TV have,interlaced / progressive, fps, encoding (h264 or mpeg2) etc. Without all of that this discussion will quickly become so subjective that it makes little sense,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

[...]

1080*1920, 30fps, so far only interlaced xmit. The TV screen is 1366*768 yet you see a noticeable difference when the station switches from 720 to 1080. AFAIK the channel BW is just under 20Mbps and it's MPEG2.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, I find classroom instruction necessary to get a jump start on a new concept, then can build from there. I can read books all day and just "not get it". A few hours classroom time lets me get "into" the thought processes of the designers. Without this I find learning a completely no concept quite painful.

I can certainly believe that. I've recently had a lot of troubles with ModelSim and had to file a problem report to get the bloody thing working (variables won't show). The resolution was "in the documentation", but there was no way I could have found it in there. In fact I've never been able to find much in their documentation. I just don't seem to be able to use their indexes and search tools. Don't have the same troubles with Xilinx documentation (which isn't great either).

He had time to compose thoughts and didn't panic?

Stuttering implied a learning impairment too? I thought stuttering was a problem with the brain "panic" issue like above. I thought this was quite treatable.

--
Keith
Reply to

I'm the same, I need touchy-feely to really understand something.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

When the Islamic Muslims take over Europe I will be amongst the first to join the call: "It's not our war, it's just a civil war."

Like I said... it varies with the individual. I'm one of those "hands-on" types that can't understand anything unless I have seen it in person. Books and publications are a different headache. One has only to teach a technical subject, and grade a few papers, to realize that there are a huge number of ways to describe fundamental concepts. Dive into abstract concepts, and the analogies can be almost unlimited. Books tend to follow the same pattern. The orientation of the author totally determines the style and approach. Some will bury the reading in formulas and equations. Others will use various modeling concepts and software. Still others will supply a sample design, and deconstruct the design decisions.

In a classroom, there is considerable leeway in describing circuit designs (time permitting). If the instructor finds that one approach isn't getting through, he can easily switch to another. Some classes respond well to theory and abstractions. Others do better with oscilloscope displays and measurements. I suspect the reason you are more comfortable with a classroom environment is because this leeway coincidentally hits your favorite method of understanding and learning. If you simply pick a random book off the shelf, chances are small that it will use your preferred method.

Suggestion: First read the release notes, bug lists, and documentation corrections and addendums. That's where the screwups are buried. You're almost certain to blunder into some problem that was already found. For web sites, I like to look at the most frequently requested docs in the knowledgebase. That usually indicates where others are having problems, and where I can expect to also blunder.

Far too much time. That was the problem. If you asked him a question, he would retreat to his office, consider the problem, and reply with a memo. He didn't believe in snap decisions. As I vaguely recall, he was quite good at making decisions and keeping the project going in the right direction. He just couldn't do it in person or in real time. As long as he wasn't asked to give a presentation, or verbally defend his decisions, he was just fine.

There are various forms of stuttering. Only some are treatable. There's no learning impairment involved.

The tech writer was highly intelligent, but had difficulties expressing himself. Communications is a bi-directional process. I learned that the hard way when my father had a stroke. He couldn't speak or even gesture effectively, but apparently understood everything that was happening. One direction of the processor had failed, but the other was still functional. It's like that with speech impairments. The output channel is having a problem, but the input channel is unaffected.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Me too, but that has its limits. Quantum mechanics, nuclear reactors, celestial mechanics, climate models, and such are rather difficult to touch and feel.

Look at it this way. You can't see the electrons moving through your circuits. You also can't touch them. You're effectively blind and have to use the blind mans white stick called test equipment to see the effects of those electrons. You've probably been doing that for so long, that you consider it touchy-feely. It's not.

Well, some people can get inside the circuitry. In the movie "Tron", the hero was able to move around the inside of the machine, and touch the internal components and routines.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Aaaaargh! My least favorite subject. I couldn't grab a hold of those little mothers ;-)

Hey, Vern, See this wire ;-)

I think circuit design is like a foreign language... I can think circuit design in my head ;-)

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

Sorry. Heisenberg figured it out. You can see them, but not touch (measure) them. Or, you can touch them (measure), but not see them.

You'll just love quantum computing, where a bit (err... qubit) can be either a zero, one, or both at the same time. No, it's not like latchup.

It has great potential in cryptography, which is the art of turning perfectly good data into useless garbage and back again.

Actually, I think I accidentally invented a quantum computing logic gate. In addition to the usual AND and OR gates, I designed an IF gate. The logic was "If I feel like, I will. Otherwise, I won't". I thought of patenting the IF gate design but never bothered.

I used to have the same problem when I did design. I would wake up in the middle of the night with some great insight, scribble something on a handy note pad, and wonder what the hell I was thinking the next morning. However, I never even tried to design anything in my head. I had to scribble it down. Unfortunately, that was often the table cloth, newspaper, magazine, blackboard, back of the envelope, etc. Same with the math. I just couldn't do it in my head. Predictably, my desk was a mess of scribbled notes. Sample:

That also caused some interesting problems for me. My boss could look at a tabular list of recorded data from some lab test and determine a trend directly from the data. I couldn't do that. I had to draw a graph to see what it looked like and where it was going.

Strangly, when it came to doing RF impedance matching, it was the other way. I prefered to do it the long way, grinding the equations. I never did bother to use a graphical Smith Chart solution.

Ok, so I'm weird.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Oh, yes, Heisenberg and his principle ;-)

I was worse than that. During the harried effort to get a transient-proof alternator regulator, I called the night shift at Motorola about 3AM, telling them I had the solution. They told me the next day I was totally incoherent ;-)

I think that is a natural condition of the _real_ engineer ;-)

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:56:59 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Well, interesting numbers, but channel bandwidth is not the same as transmitted bps. The 'subjective' or psychological part is, that perhaps when ball room dancing was displayed you were interested so much that you actually looked at the content as opposed to looking for artefacts during the other transmissions :-) This is not a joke, I have experienced this myself. Things get very subjective, and people fool themselves. I remember listening to a mp3 of an old analog recording, and thinking: 'Hey analog was better!' Then I realized the fact that I was listening via digital. Beware, human perception is not constant, the rose smells more or less not only because it may be different, but also less if you have a cold for example. So, indeed the world is an illusion (it really is not, but the picture of it we build in our minds is a variable- neural net - weights change-).

An interesting subject, away from electronics and the scope of this newsgroup perhaps. However if you are into audio you will immediately meet with psycho-acoustical models if you want to write code for say a mp2 or mp3 codec.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This person i described is a degreed electrical engineer regularly doing the work of reading, editing and developing contract specifications as a core component of the daily job. The few people who cannot develop the relevant skills should reconsider where in the engineering world their energies would best spent.

I am well aware of visual / audible / kinesthetic learning styles, and they do not have to be mutually exclusive. Though there usually is a dominant mode, suppressing other modes is usually a conscious choice.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have always disliked Trinitrons. Sony made a point of killing the few things that could make them more acceptable. Option 1, much finer shadow mask. Option 2, stagger shadow mask rows. Having seen the difference each of these options made i wondered why they were "killed".

Reply to
JosephKK

Only once? Prior to having my prostate removed, I used to wake several times at night to run to the toilet. I had some difficulty going back to sleep, so I would turn on the computah, and try to catch up on my email and correspondence. I soon started getting some rather odd comments from the recipients. When I looked though my outgoing email archive, I realized what had happened. I was partially asleep and more than a little incoherent while writing.

I still do that these days, but I now queue my outgoing replies, and proofread the mess in the morning. I don't do that for usenet postings so please pardon the drivel. Interestingly, my spelling improves dramatically when half asleep.

Hint: Avoid eating pickled herring with sour cream after midnight. It's now 6AM and I've been on the computer for about 2 hours.