Does anybody really know what ever happened to sequential turn signals?

I didn't know that but am not surprised. Aside from the sheer size of the thing, the Imperial kept body-on-frame construction for several years after almost all the rest of the industry, including other Chrysler models, had gone to unibodies for their passenger cars. Not until model year 1967, I think, did the Imperial go that route.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

That's true throughout pretty much the entire developed world, except for the USA (and Canada, I think).

I prefer amber turn signals but if you want to see some people go absolutely apoplectic, suggest that the USA should impose this requirement on manufacturers as well. After all, turn signals (and pretty much everything else) are installed for purely aesthetic purposes, right?

Will code for food.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It would add .3 cents (i.e.$.003) to the cost of each car and is therefore a communist requirement. Americans have a RIGHT to red turn signals on purely libertarian grounds as well! Of course, they have no right to Euro windshields (which I believe are safer) or to delete the sodium azide bag system.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Yes, I've seen the "NO IMPERIALS!" footnotes on demo derby flyers. Good thing, wasting an Imp in a demo derby should be criminalized.

Reply to
Steve

Heh. But it sure was a safe car. ;-) First car with electronic ignition, IIRC (ca. 1971).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Because they are illegal under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (Lamps and Reflective Devices), and under the substantially-identical Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. Both of these regulations, and their worldwide equivalents, state that all turn signal lamps must meet the requirements for on/off time in each flash cycle, and that they all must flash in phase (with the lone exception of front sidemarker lamps, which in North America are permitted to flash in opposite-phase when the parking or headlamps are on). Even if a loose definition of "in phase" is adopted, it isn't possible to make sequential turn signals in which the inboard lamp complies with the minimum "off" time in the flash cycle _AND_ the outboard lamp complies with the minimum "on" time in the flash cycle _AND_ the whole system complies with the 60-to-120-flashes/minute requirement.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, however, don't apply to vehicles in use or their owners, which are regulated by state or provincial standards, and I can't think of any state or provincial standards that have anything to say about sequential turn signals. You can pick up an inexpensive and good-qualitty sequentializer for your Fiero from

; watch out for other stuff on that site, some of which is quite illegal *FOR A GOOD REASON* (center brake lamp flasher in particular).

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Are. See my post in this thread.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I recently saw a car (sorry, can't remember the make) with *white* rear turn signals. Now *that's a communist plot if I've ever heard one! ;-)

BTW in some states it's "illegal" (not enforced) to have amber front turn signals, though manufacturers sell vehicles with amber fronts.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Bottom line... they're too expensive to include on todays vehicles.

Professor

Professor

I think it was just a gimmick, like tailfins. Remember those? One chevy, Impala IIRC, used to lose traction on the rear wheels after it got up to a certain speed because of the *wing* effect of them. The design was thereafter modified. Down the tubes into the History Bin, along with BULLET CHROME BUMPERS, a la Buick in the 50's.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Oh, but I want to _build_ one - that was the whole point of this post in the first place. (note the crosspost).

If all we have to meet is that light A stays on for the full on time, and light C lights up soon enough to illuminate before off time, it should meet the spec, according to your eloquent description which I've snipped. :-) (That's OK, kids - it's one post up in the thread. Huh? Don't have a threading newsclient? Awwww....)

So anyways, I already pretty much have a circuit in mind, but the problem arises is that the only signal is +12 or open. So, what happens when I press the brake pedal? I'd have to run another wire or something. Maybe an "and" gate.... Hmmmm....

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

Spehro Pefhany wrote in article ...

Actually, the 1956 Chevrolet Corvette had what was called a "Mag Pulse" ignition - which operated almost identically to GM's HEI system....the MAJOR difference being that the coil was separate from the distributor in the 'Vette.

Reply to
*

Well, part of the answer could be because installing them would be a major PITA - I took a look at my taillight assembly this afternoon,

and ICK!

I guess I could dig out the wiring diagram, and pull up the rug in the trunk (which I already tried, a little bit, but unfastened the taillight first, because it looked the easiest. You can see three oval-shaped holes in the whaddayacallit, and three tabs on the top of the assembly - those are some special shoulder screws - they go all the way through (they're about 4" long) and have a fat shoulder which eevidently fits through those tabs.)

Anyway, the point is, Yikes! I gotta go track down wires - this is looking way too much like work. Maybe I'll work on phase II of KeyZilla. Or that multiplier on the Xilinx. Yeah, that's it!

THanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

I just yesterday afternoon browsed through an article on how to do so while I was at the Toronto Reference Library collecting some unrelated articles on automotive lighting. Head over to your local well-stocked public library and spend 7 minutes looking under Automobiles - Lighting and Automobiles - Signal Lights in the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature, starting in '68 and ending in '75, and you'll find it probably in the first four minutes.

It won't, but you're not a regulated party under FMVSS 108.

You run another wire *OR* tap off the CHMSL (centre brake light) feed, but be advised the CHMSL feed is not adequate to power the left and right brake lights plus the CHMSL (it's often marginal for the CHMSL!).

Or, you have a single sequence cycle every time you press the brake pedal.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Studebaker offered a transistorized ignition as well in '63 or 64 and continued it for the Chevy engined 65-66 cars. However, it still used mechanical points as a trigger. It was made by Prestolite IIRC.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Both Ford and Delco-Remy certainly had electronic ignitions by 1964... maybe only in taxi cabs or police cars (their favorite test vehicles... lots of miles quickly).

But they used "star-wheel" magnetic pickups... NOT points.

...Jim Thompson

Of course not. No one wants them (if they are legal). If there were a million people who wanted them, they would be, even it it cost the dollar.

...never met a "professor" dumb enough to top post.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Rich, you failed to take into consideration my last sentence.

"Perhaps it is more accurate to describe it as "learned response" rather than instinctive but you should grasp the idea I am getting at."

Reply to
Ross Herbert

There is a marked difference in that 99.9% of cars have regular non-sequential turn signals therefore drivers are conditioned to expect this type of signal when a turn is being indicated. Such a signal is "the ordinary" rather than "the unusual" and nobody thinks anything of it or is surprised to see it.

Those road lane change indicators are first of all, HUGE by comparison. Then thay are usually a lot higher than most vehicles on the road so that you can spot them a long time before you get to them. This gives adequate time to take their meaning into account and any surprise is well and truly dissipated by then.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Are you in charge of the sheep dip?

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse