DOCSIS modem question

Simple question:-

Can a small number of low-cost consumer DOCSIS modems share with CATV signals without a full CMTS?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

I'm not sure I understand your question..

No DOCSIS modems cannot talk to each other...

they can talk only to a CMTS...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Nope, sorry. The CMTS is the gatekeeper for the system / master to the slaves (except in LA County where this is politically unacceptable and so they are "primary" and "secondary" :-). It answers the discovery protocol, sets the frequencies, encoding, enrolling & polling the downstreams, etc.

IIRC, the systems TX and RX in completely different frequency ranges, so the CMs may not be capable of RX in their range of TX frequencies (& vice versa). So I don't think you could even hack the firmware to make this work.

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

No. But I've seen a small CMTS offered for building level installation, for up to 64 modems or so.

Don't know the company name; they do TV headend stuff, but were not one of the big names I recognize.

Up and downlink on cable models are very different - even more than on ADSL.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak