Divide by 2, least number of components?

Hey all. I'm working on a project where I need to divide a 6 Hz signal by 2 to get a 3 Hz signal. However, I have really limited space and don't want to use a 14 pin package just for a single flip flop...I'm looking for suggestions on what the most economical method with respect to size and component count to implement a divide-by-two would be?

Reply to
Bitrex

Use a PIC10F200 in a 6 pin SOT 23 package.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

You can get one D-type flip-flop in small 8 pin packages, as small as

0.95 mm x 1.95 mm for ball grids:

But if you have already a microcontroller on your PCB, it is possible to implement it in software, but it depends on your requirements how fast and accurate it needs to be and if your microcontroller has enough spare time to do it (e.g. in a 1 kHz interrupt, if you can live with 1 ms delay and about 1% jitter of the output signal).

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Those are 8 pin packages and should be small enough for your purpose.

Reply to
Jamie

--
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74auc1g79.pdf

JF
Reply to
John Fields

No Q/ output

Try the ...g80

Reply to
MooseFET

--
Aarrghhhh!!!
Reply to

And Vcc is 2.7V max! (AUP is 3.3V supply).

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Is the input a clean, fast logic level? If not, you'll probably need some signal conditioning before the flipflop.

John

Your point being?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Try Fairchild's TinyLogic series. Something like the NC7SZ74 in a US8 package might work for you.

--
Mark
Reply to