DIP pins for pcb

Is there any online pcb fab company that will do dip pins(round and not flat) on a simple pcb? Something that is relatively cheap. (mainly need to fab just a pcb with TH's and dip pins and routes with maybe gold plating)

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Not 100% sure what you mean there (what has DIP pins got to do with PCB manufacture?), but try

They are cheap, have an excellent online quote system, deliver when they say they will, and gold plating doesn't really cost any extra.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Jon Slaughter" wrote in news:YVdjj.85661$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

Not making any real sense... Do you mean you need some .1" header pins sticking out of the PCB where a dip package would go? Also wtf TH's...

Reply to
me

Cause I gotta use some dip pins on the package to insert into something else. (it must be dip.. don't ask cause that is not important) I know it can be done cause I have seen it. I imagine it is not a common thing. But essentially its just a TH like component(although maybe not exactly).

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Do you mean like this:

MooseFET

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s27g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

This doesn't make sense. What "package"? Perhaps you mean having embedded machine pin type DIP socket pins in the PCB? Like this maybe?:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

That's our Jon.

Yup, that's Jon.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Essentially. I need the pins like that(or similar) that will be inserted at specific points on a pcb. Very similar to the pic but without the top pins and on a pcb.

I call them DIP pins cause that makes sense to me. They are the pins used in DIP packages. Well, DIP normally uses flattened versions which is why I mentioned the round ones(they are more sturdy).

I imagine if one can buy the pins then its just a matter of drilling the hole and inserting them in the hole. In that case though I'm not sure how to solidly secure them to the pcb.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

The MillMax pins i mentioned (and ther are other sizes) fit the "round" description. But. Try to find an assembly house to press-fit them into a PCB is another story...it is as if you do not have enough money.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Key words: press-fit, special tool, uncommon operation.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That is a socket. Try MillMax 3154 pins, for .060 PCB, pressfit into 0.026 hole; i have thousands and was willing to send about 2,000 (in a bag) to someone that was looking for about 500. No peep; anyone else wants to chirp?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The MillMax 3154 may be exactly what you are looking for. If you are in the US, or if the postage to your country is less than $5.50 i will front the postage and the pins.

Reply to
Robert Baer

:> Do you mean like this: :>

:>

: :Essentially. I need the pins like that(or similar) that will be inserted at :specific points on a pcb. Very similar to the pic but without the top pins :and on a pcb. : :I call them DIP pins cause that makes sense to me. They are the pins used in :DIP packages. Well, DIP normally uses flattened versions which is why I :mentioned the round ones(they are more sturdy). : :I imagine if one can buy the pins then its just a matter of drilling the :hole and inserting :them in the hole. In that case though I'm not sure how to solidly secure :them to the pcb. : :Thanks, :Jon :

Perhaps you are referring to Cage Jacks as made by Cambion

Ross Herbert

Samtec has a huge number of pins in their product line. They will do specials that don't go too far from existing products.

One of the easiest ways to attach pins to a PCB is to solder them into holes. I assume because of this you need a pin with a point on both ends.

You use a plated through hole and have a pad on both faces. The solder ends up holding it quite securely.

Reply to
MooseFET

Not really. Look closely at the pins in the socket frame.

Reply to
MooseFET

Wow!! Your giving them away!?!?! Your either very nice or a evil mail bomber ;) Curious as to why the limit of $5.50 and not $6.00? ;)

I think these might be the things I'm talking about. They are very similar to the ones in the link that moose gave but just "one sided".

I actually have a small smt to dip pcb converter that converts some smt eprom chip to dip. I was able to heat up one of the pins and pull it out so it seems like its soldered in there. Not sure if this is the best way as I probably need something a bit stronger.

I imagine if these are the correct pins I could just drill the holes like normal TH components and then make a simple press to press them in? (assuming a slightly smaller hole size) or possibly bond them in somehow?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

.

PA

ed

s I

Just solder them in, that is how that sort of thing is usually assembled. I've made plug-in modules like that at home with my kitchen sink PCB process.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

And all this time I've been cutting short lengths of 22 gauge wire. I assume they're solderable (home-etched boards aren't PTH, and mine are usually thinner than 0.060 anyway)? Chirp!

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Like these?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I have had these pins for ages, do not know how to have my adaptor built as i cannot find any assembly house that will do press-fit. And i have 2 bags; 2K and 15K so the 2K bag is no big deal. US flat rate is $4.60 and sending that weight to most other places in the world is about $5.40 if i remember correctly..so i fudged that to $5.50. As long as someone has an actual *use* for them, they are welcome; they are doing no good sitting here (not even gathering dust, as the envelopes have been in a box). If you or anyone can get a place to do pressfit, i can turn over the whole idea and PCB layout - - the board is 0.4 or 0.5 square (do not remember - been to long) with a standard 8-pin DIP pin layout for socketing, and one can solder a SOT-23 or 5-8 other packages on top. Traces bring out 6 leads (pins 1-6 on DIP) to the pins; my trademark name for it is "Sot Mount" and i have made some for my own use with high temp PCB material (good to 200+C) as well as FR-4. Dang; if one can market that beastie, i will trade the other 15K for (say) 10% of the Moses (profit).

Reply to
Robert Baer