Dimmable transfomers

I drew that inference because it is definitely contained in JW's post.

Quote from JW's post:

"A toroidal transformer, having very low leakage inductance, is most unlikely to be in trouble. For garden lighting, the cable resistances help a lot to limit inrush current."

This statement indeed contains a direct inference that in order to limit the damaging effects of the MASSIVE inrush surge you correctly identify, then it would be required that cable resistances (note plural) would need to be specified on a per run basis in order to limit that inrush current.

Again I quote;

".....the cable resistances help a lot to limit inrush current."

In other words, the cable run from the transformer to each lamp would need to have the correct resistivity to limit the inrush surge current in each lamp. Depending on the length of each run the wire gauge would therefore need to be considered and altered to suit each particular run.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

** This is the dodgy inference you drew.

" ..... in order to prolong lamp life " .

My post pointed out it was not the most likely reason.

Reply to
Phil Allison