how different is pic assembler and avr assembler?

Hi - can anyone tell me how hard it would be to learn pic assembler once you know avr assember? Or is there a difference between the two? Right now I'm learning AVR assembler - and I just got to wondering about that... Anyways - thanks!

Reply to
Michael

Consider the pic the root RISC microcontroller and the avr one branch of it. Read the application notes to the 16c54 or the 12c508, if you understand those (I'm 99% sure you'll understand it), then you understand and can program pretty well all pic chips. All others have more stuff.

Reply to
Amused

The assembler is the easy bit. You'll be spending much more time figuring out the different processor architectures. If you learn AVR first you'll be annoyed with the way the PIC does things such as pages for status registers and the concept of the "working" register.

Peter

Reply to
moocowmoo

be

registers

..... and after you've figured out PICs, you'll go back to AVRs because you'll still be annoyed with the way the PIC does things such as page/bank switching and the concept of the (singlular) "working" register. ;-)

HTHs Greg the Grog (ns_NodDog)

Reply to
Grog