Digitizing Scopes

Jim Williams?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Yes, and I must say it's pretty darn good for the money. Not surprising considerng that Agilent put their name to it. It is designed and made by Rigol in China

they even roll their own ADC. It is not a high end scope, but the value for money is supurb. The digital filtering, sequence mode stuff and masking functions are excellent. Response is very good. Beats the low end Tek's IMHO. If it was own $$$$ I would go Agilent.

The Agilent 6000 mixed signal series is my current favourite, and before that the Agilent 54621D. I can highly recommend plugging in a

19" LCD into the 6000 series! ;->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

The newer Agilents (546xx onwards) are superb in this respect, better than any Tek I've used.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Someone who is not expecting to find noise.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

aware of situations when you just can't beat an analogue scope, but some people claim that in certain (more limited) circumstances, you just can't beat a digitizing scope. What might those more limited circumstances be?

Jeff.

There is probably more limitation of an analog scope, but if you have a scope that does both, you just push a button and select whatever you want.

greg

Reply to
szekeres

The last decent HP Agilent oscilloscope was the 130C.

It has been steadily downhill ever since.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

The 54600 series onwards are excellent scopes, with real common sense usability and great performance. The new 6000 series is *much* better again. You should try them.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Ack! For the analog low-noise environment I'd say that analog scopes are easier to use than digital scopes. I find analog scopes much better for looking at noise and noise problems. For unknown situations, I always have an analog scope handy to augment the digital scope (Tek TDS3054). Once a Tek rep dropped by to show off a digital scope. He couldn't figure out the signal due to aliasing problems. The analog scope allowed him to set up the digital scope.

For pulse events with slow rep rates, pre-trigger data, performing math, and documentation, you can't beat a digital scope. Too bad Tektronix has such a slow clumsy Ethernet interface.

Gosh, the old Tek 7000 series scopes have wonderful sampling plugins that go into the GHz region. Tek also has a fine 25ps rise time TDR

7000 plugin which allows you to see problems in connectors.
--
Mark
Reply to