Digital car Compass hack

Does anyone have any inforamtion on how a digital compass in the car works. I'm working on a project that I need to know direction. I was thinking of checking out a junkyard for a rearview mirror or overhead console that has a digital compass in it. How does the car interface to one of these?

Reply to
Heyme

Heyme wrote in news:Xns9692BFEFC85BFheymehotmailcom@216.221.81.119:

Google:fluxgate compass or

or
or

Ken Moffett

Probably an inexpensive fluxgate magnetometer. There's a good article about small project magnetic sensing at

Google for fluxgate compass for specific info.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

are the folks that make them. They sell (sold) a PCB for about $200 that gave you the 3 axis of the magnetic field and tilt.

The product contains software for correction for nearby magnetic objects.

A while back Radio Shack had a 2 axis flux gate for about $20.

Digikey carries GMR sensors that could be used to make a fairly basic compass.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith