Digikey policy change on backorders

Or if the parts don't arrive from the manufacturer.

If you want parts overnight, and don't want to wait for the whole order to be in stock, $8 seems like small change to me. Especially $8 Canadian.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

John

Lucky

I got one wrong part since I started using them about 5 years ago (they sent a 24-pin connector instead of 22-pin). I called up and I had the correct part the next day, plus a prepaid shipper label to send the wrong ones back.

Reply to
Richard Henry

[snip]

That seems to be the smart response. If you get a B/O, just cancel it and add the items to your next regular order, or order elsewhere... they'll get the message soon enough.

...Jim Thompson

I got a pre-packed bag of 10 parts that had a small break, and was empty.

Are you sure?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Just a heads up that Digikey is now charging additional shipping fees on backordered items (at least in Canada). In the past these were shipped at no additional charge.

"Orders purchased in Canadian currency and entered by 8:00pm CT will be shipped prepaid for next day delivery via Purolator to most provinces. A shipping charge of $8.00 (Canadian)* will be added to the order. Backordered items will be shipped when available with an additional $8.00 shipping charge per shipment."

In my opinion the shipping fees and service from Digikey have been excellent in the past. I recognize that they would have to eat the charges on backorders, but it appears now the customer is being penalized if Digikey has poor inventory management.

Has the incentive to keep sufficient inventory on hand been reduced?

Keep it in mind. Don't get surprised.

--
The letter \'Q\' has been added to my otherwise valid email address for spam
protection.

I remember when I moved up near the border (late 50's) we got 4 cents extra for a Buck Canuck.

Not entirely. Look up "Battle of Lake Erie".

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yes, I cancelled a backorder recently because of that new policy. Seems kind of short-sighted of them.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

What kind of error rate do you see on your Digikey orders? I get maybe one wrong part per 250 line items (sample size four errors over all time). Lucky that none of them have been ceramic caps yet...

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Westhues

Maybe closer to 0.1%. Just a guess.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Two wrong items in four years. I order about 30 line items per month. In both instances they just took my word for it, told me to keep the items and sent the correct items.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

extra

I remember being taught that the war was over free passage on the high seas, that the White House was burned, and that the British ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch'em at New Orleans.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Watch it there, Sonny! Why I remember a time when the mighty y'all-buck was worth LESS than the Canuck-buck! OK, it was over 20 years ago -- but it happened!

Mumble, mumble, mumble... And we whipped your butts in the War of 1812 too! So there!

Mumble, mumble... Damn young whipper-snappers... {SNORE}

;-)

Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
Vancouver, BC, Canada  . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.marmot-eng.com
Reply to
Tim Hubberstey

In the last couple of months, we've gotten two batches of hardware from DigiKey that were incorrectly labeled or bad. In one case, it was some flat washers that simply were not the correct size (i.e., 2mm flat washers wouldn't fit on a

2mm screw). The other case was a batch of #4 threaded nylon spacers that had hole drilled/molded too large so that the threads wouldn't hold a #4 screw. In both cases, DigiKey made good by sending new parts at no charge and didn't want the bad stuff back. I suspect in both cases, the real culprit was a batch of incorrectly labeled or out of spec parts from the OEM.

DigiKey seem to do much better on electronic parts. I can't remember the last time we got an incorrect electronic item in an order.

--
James T. White
Reply to

One battle does not a war make. There were similar whippings dished out by the Canadians (Fort George, for instance). The end result was that the American invasion of Canada was rebuffed and the border was essentially unchanged.

I'd be willing to bet that what we were taught in school differs significantly from what Americans were taught. While it is true that "history is written by the winners", I believe it is also true that when it ends in a draw, history is written by each side's textbook authors.

But this is waaaaay off topic for this group, so lets wrap it up.

Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
Vancouver, BC, Canada  . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.marmot-eng.com
Reply to
Tim Hubberstey

Don't forget the First Nations had many deaths and injuries in a war they didn't start about land that was rightfully theirs. They fought valiantly. (BTW, I'm not Native Canadian but as a Canadian I certainly value their contribution).

You can call the battle a stale mate or analyse it anyway you'd like. However, the real losers were the Native Canadians and Native Americans. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with them was but I can guarantee it isn't what we did.

Reply to
James Morrison

Charging shipping on backorders (in US) is not a new policy; they have been doing that for quite a while.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The Battle of New Orleans was fought well after the war was officially ended, by a treaty that was mostly humiliating to the USA. New Orleans is always charmingly behind the times.

John

born in a 1936 Ford at the intersection of St Charles and Napoleon avenues, somewhat ahead of my time.

y'all-buck

but

1812

when

seas,

hounds

The speed of light was much slower then.

Article 1 of the Treaty of Paris: "His Brittanic Majesty acknowledges the said United States, viz., New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, to be free sovereign and independent states, that he treats with them as such, and for himself, his heirs, and successors, relinquishes all claims to the government, propriety, and territorial rights of the same and every part thereof."

and from Article 3:

"It is agreed that the people of the United States shall continue to enjoy unmolested the right to take fish of every kind on the Grand Bank and on all the other banks of Newfoundland, also in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and at all other places in the sea, where the inhabitants of both countries used at any time heretofore to fish."

Reply to
Richard Henry

"Well, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles. They ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go. They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch'em, On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. (Hup! Two! Three! Four!)"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Indeed. Perhaps you should have been there to signal the end of the war before they loaded up the 'gators.

Well, we fired our cannon til the barrel melted down, so we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round. We filled his head with cannon balls and powdered his behind, and when they tetched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

--
  Keith  (is Gee-the-brick-layer mad about this OT stuff yet?)
Reply to