no more Digikey catalogs

They are going to discontinue the printed catalog. Pity... I find it much easier to use than their web site.

John

Hopefully they'll at least let you download it as a PDF?

I'd have to admit to just using the on-line version more and more -- almost exlusively -- in the past few years now, but one option I find quite useful is the "show me this page in the catalog" button so that, once you get close to what you want, you can see variations on the theme.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I use their search function almost exclusively these days. It's rare that I feel motivated to look at their catalog.

Given how big the thing has gotten, I've probably been responsible for a whole tree in the last ten years or so, and much of it never got looked at.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

It was inevitable. Those of a certain age may also remember the demise of "Computer Shopper" magazine, which in its prime was a tabloid-sized monster as thick as a phonebook. I always pitied the mail carriers when it came out ...

A down-loadable, fully searchable version of the Digikey catalog is fine. I haven't given the "interactive flash" version a try yet, either.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I never order from Digikey but the (for me) local competitors all have printed catalogs which I use quite often. I've found the search engines do not always return all components. For example when I search Farnell's website for a 'boxed header' I only get very expensive Samtec connectors.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

That has (IMHO/IME) more to do with Digi-Key having a terrible website than inherent advantages of paper over web. And no doubt about it, digi-key has a truly terrible website. Both Mouser and Newark beat them in spades on that front, not that either is perfect.

Ecnerwal

Ditto, but there's a big caveat. I've done a number of searches recently and discovered they don't always list the best parts!

I discovered this doing sort of a reverse-search, where I found a GREAT part they stocked, then searched for similar parts--using its approximate parameters--to see what other choices there were. I got a list of results, but my original, best choice wasn't on it!!

That happens OFTEN, caveat emptor.

t.

Yes, but they make decent Japanese-ish cushions for sitting on the floor.

Too bad they publish it so often, that's half the problem.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You probably remember the voting on this topic they put out some months ago (don't recall how many, right now.) They were either serious about finding out and determined that enough didn't care about paper copies; or else they were disingenuous in asking and had already decided but used this menthod to provide "cover" for the change. In any case, I cast a vote telling them I want the printed edition very much.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Oh, then the postage rates will go up to compensate for lost revenue. Again.

I guess the last one will soon be peddled on Ebay, as an antique ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Their web site is the best out there. The general search on manufacturer's part number or description works pretty well, the parameter selection tree works very well, all around the best. Mouser has been improving theirs, but still has a way to go. Also, Digi-Key's feature of quick access to the data sheet for anything whatsoever is great. if I need a data book page now, I always go to Digi-key to find it, it is faster than going to the TI, Xilinx, AD or whatever web site directly!

But, I WILL miss their catalog. When looking for similar products, like trying to select capacitors or inductors, having 500 parts on one page where I can quickly scan down the rows is useful. I will keep the last catalog for a decade until it is totally useless.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

yeh, usually only get out the paper catalog when looking for something more "mechanical" like connectors and heatsinks

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Really? Gee, I LIKE their web site. yes, there are things that might be improved a bit more, but I really find it QUITE useful, I use it to get manufacturer's data sheets rather than plowing through the real manufacturer's web site. Digi-Key is much faster!

Mouser's is improving, but I really find Newark's hard to find stuff, and hard to get data sheets on some items.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have a 1991 AMP Connectors catalog right in front of me. Serves as a redneck monitor stand. It actually looks nice with its dark blue harcover.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It is hands-down the best search engine there ever was. They must have broken the mold because no other company was ever able to come close.

ON Semi used to be a close 2nd but now a more distant 2nd because they "fluffified" their search engine and it's much slower now.

The are miles and miles behind Digikey in that respect.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The AMP website is atrocious. Their old print catalogs were pretty good.

I often don't buy their stuff because the web site is so bad.

John

'Computer Shopper' started as a tabloid computer want ads publication, printed on low grade news print. My first copy was about

32 pages.
Michael A. Terrell

If I could only get the phone company and the Valley Yellow Pages to honor my requests not to deliver their tree killing products.

Though I buy from Digikey, I can't even recall the last time they sent me a catalog. Maybe you need to buy a certain dollar amount to be worthy. I always ordered online anyway.

Reply to
miso

That's actually how many little guys get ahold of McMaster-Carr catalogs these days -- while they're still printed (they're huge! -- about the size of the old Newark catalogs), they're only mailed out to biggest customers, and many of those guys then turn around and sell extra or older ones on eBay!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

--
Give up your pencil and paper for a while and it might come easy.
Reply to

--
I agree that neither is perfect, but I think DK is closer to
perfection than either of the others, if for no other reason than that