Custom Computer Workstation Bench and Chair Setups

This guy used a car chair for his computer set up:

"Then I realized that the most comfortable chair I sit in each day is my car. If you think about it, it's specifically designed to minimize fatigue and allow people to sit comfortably for hours."

Myself... My LCD monitors are on a skinny \\_/ shaped bench with only room for the monitor stands. Clutterfree. I mounted a mouse table on my armrest.. Was funny to let go of my wireless mouse and watch it slide off onto the floor :)

Someday I'll be constructing a tube frame to suspend the monitors. Got inspired by the hovercraft computer workstation in the Matrix movies.

Anybody have some interesting custom computer station set ups? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Neato!

...Jim Thompson

I would think a Q45 seat is a little more than $100 ;)

Martin Riddle

Be careful. When hocking yourself on I5 for 7 hours to go to L.A. you barely move, except for popping in a new CD. Very different with PC work.

I spared no expense on office chairs here. Only the good stuff, orthopedic grade etc. They were north of $500 each but also seem to last forever. The model in the lab is a "knee swing" type, no back rest, forces me to sit upright. It really cuts down on the backpain episodes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

message

I imagine... it moves every conceivable way, including a back support. It also has air ducting to cool your derriere ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I have to wonder about the need to be upright for computer work.. Maybe it's just to keep people awake and looking busy? :)

I was at the dentist in a very comfy dental chair and watched tv on the ceiling. This is probably the most relaxing position for the back. What's stopping this from becoming a computer workstation? Laying back and looking skyward at the monitors and keyboarding off the lap should be ok..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I am not an orthopedist but when laying down the back muscles are not excercised. Then when you have to schlepp that 40lbs bag of dog food into the house there ain't no muscles to write home about and the spine has to sustain it all. One wrong move -> OUCH!

At least that's how I understand it. Now that I live by it the back pain is less serious.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You mean this thing:

Maybe it's just me but the first time I saw that thing, it scared me. Looks like some S&M torture device you tie someone to and get whipped :P

This looks better :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Awake anyway. I like my Aeron. Also it should be cool. The CCOHS says that 21°C (70°F) is optimum for mental work (have to deal with people b*tching about feeling cold if it falls much below 25°C though..)

Last time I got my hair cut in China there were 40" plasma TV channels mounted in the ceiling (playing music videos) for you to watch while they washed your hair and massaged your scalp.

Whatever happened to those kneeling chairs from the eighties(?) ?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I'm sitting, ahm, kneeling on one right here in the lab. But it's a professional version, adjustable, >2" steel pipe, a lot sturdier than the one in D's photo. You can barely lift it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Noooo wayyy! :P Somebody actually using one of those chairs???

Now you're all set for a dominatrix in tight leather to start whipping you on that chair :) She says "You've been a naughty designer!" whitsstt! (whip sound)

Still ..probably better than a barkolounger for computer work.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I used a spare bucket seat from a '66 GTO as a computer chair, till a spring broke and cut my thigh. It was bolted to a wood base made from

2" * 8" lumber set on edge to get the right height, and was raised at the rear to tilt slightly, to the right position. A set of heavy rubber casters let it move around.

The computer desk was a solid oak butcher block dining room table with a plywood cabinet that had adjustable shelves. It had two computer monitors, a small color TV, a 'C band' sat receiver, and an old Harmon Kardon 330B stereo receiver.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you want the last thing you ever see to be that TV falling on you?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OTOH, some people have to lay down a few hours every afternoon because of swelling in their legs. I am building a cart to hold a monitor, keyboard and mouse on an arm, like a hospital bed table so I can work, instead of staring at the ceiling. When I first get up from the hospital bed is when I do anything that requires physical activity. After the swelling returns I have less sense of balance and more pain.

I am waiting for the mail. It is the end of the month, and the new medication still hasn't arrived. I was told to stop using the prescribed pain killer because it cause more swelling, and the replacement STILL hasn't shown up. I hope that my last VA doctor loses her license to practice medicine. My pension check is due, too, but if I had to chose, I would rather get my prescriptions and refills. There are days that I would willingly let them take both of my legs, and left arm.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yep, and it actually helps my back.

I am sometimes a naughty designer, for example when using digital chips for not so digital purposes. Or transistors for logic circuits. But no domina here ;-)

Ewww...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Looks like I might be visiting the scrap yard to sit in a bunch of cars to find out which ones have the most comfy seats for computer work :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Nah - they're surprisingly comfortable, if you like being perfectly vertical with little or no effort. :-)

Personally, I vote "B" here. ;-) The keyboard and display are no problem, but how do you operate the mouse? Use one of those

3-D glove things? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you're referring to the fun idea of converting this chair to a computer workstation..

Perhaps a mouse table would be placed in a comfy spot.. Probably near the hip.

It's possible an inclined mouse table might be more comfy.... This could be attached to the chair.

I use an inclined mouse table...but that's because it's attached to my office chair which is reclined to about 30 degrees. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Yabbut, what keeps the mouse from sliding off?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Claws?