Cranes

San Francisco is again covered with cranes. I can see at least 7 from the roof of our business.

And in our quiet little residential neighborhood, yesterday morning, we counted five huge double-decker WiFi'd busses picking up Google and Yahoo droids to take to work (and one Muni bus.) Rentals are insanely expensive.

I keep expecting this bubble to burst. There are over 650,000 iPad apps... do we really need a million?

People go to restaurants and immediately open their phone and look down at it throughout the meal. I've interviewed people who kept texting during the interview. People cross the street, and drive, staring into their phones. Light turns green, car doesn't move... texting.

Sort of strange, what electronics has done.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

take

we

Does every little sandwich shop have its own app, yet? They will.

I read the Internet from my phone while waiting for a table. I don't when sitting with someone else, unless it's for reference related to the discussion. At an interview? That's not only rude, that plain nuts! I want to tell them what I know and learn as much about the other person as I can. It's illegal to text or access the Internet from a phone while driving (even stopped in traffic) now. I still do it to get the traffic report (navigation). Soon it'll be illegal to use hand-held phones while driving. Nothing will change.

Made geekism normal?

Reply to
krw

That would tell me everything I would need to know. No need to go any farther.

Reply to
tm

Yabbut, these days the interviewer may be doing the same, checking the interviewee's Facebook page or whatever.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

interviewee's Facebook page or whatever.

That would tell me everything I would need to know. No need to go any farther.

Reply to
krw

counted

take

we

It will burst. I just told a couple during lunch. When I predicted the same about the housing market in 2005 to another couple (realtors!) they just laughed. Then in 2008 ... *KABLAM* ... now they don't own a house anymore.

With me the interview would be over at that point. A friend had one guy come in for an interview and he wore a T-shirt with the words "People suck". "Have a nice day" ... "B..b..but, I thought I had an interview here today" ... "You just had one".

People said the same thing about electric light, then radio, then TV, then the computer. They all enriched our lives but they all took a toll as well. Nothing's free, and some things really can go too far.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would have been done well before any meeting.

Why waste your time?

Reply to
tm

roof

counted

take

we

I had a high school kid, coming for an admission interview for MIT... chomping on bubble gum :-( He _did_not_ get approved.

Natural selection >:-}

With just about every cell phone now having GPS and associated accelerometer, I don't know why we don't have a law requiring cell phone designs that disallow texting while they are in motion.

...Jim Thompson

roof

On a visit to SF last year (I'm in SJ) the view from Yerba Buena Gardens showed no fewer than 3. Here's 2 of them:

I keep hoping that such signs are of an upward economy, but I still see many foreclosure signs and businesses closing.

dc

Reply to
DaveC

Umm... on the trolly?

Reply to
notme

It must be insanely complex to do major construction in the heart of a big city. But lots of people seem to be willing.

Is SJ as crazy as SF? 1-br apartments are approaching $3k per month.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I've had people tell me, I'll shave & get a haircut AFTER I'm hired. Yeah, right. NEXT PLEASE!!!

And automatically call 911 when they hit a tree?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'll interview anyone. It's good practice.

Reply to
krw

Because of these things they call "passengers".

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Doesn't ON-Star do that? ...Jim Thompson

I think texting and Facebook should both be outlawed.

There's been some talk here of having a teen license where passengers are disallowed unless they are adult family members. ...Jim Thompson

How would I know? I've never owned a vehicle with On Star. It's only availible on 'Obama Motors' vehicles, isn't it?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That would not be a smart thing to do. For example, nobody would then be able to use the phone on a bus or train, or while the aircraft taxies to the gate and the captain has allowed cell phone use.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

SF is always 25-30 percent higher in SF, ime.

Are incomes really keeping up with these increases? From what my friends tell me, no.

Reply to
DaveC

No, it's available as an after market product/service, as well. It may even come in other makes, now.

Reply to
krw